Existing Member?

Europe 2017

"Stairway to Heaven"

FRANCE | Wednesday, 27 July 2016 | Views [312]

One of the most popular sites to visit in Lannion is a unique church built at the top of one of those steep hills that the old city is built on. Today we decided to visit it. The church sits majestically at the top of 144 steps. There is no road to the top. So, if you want to see it, you have to make your way up to the top using the granite rose steps and admire all the beautiful flowers that have been planted by the homeowners along the escalier. As I began to huff a bit, I thought of the poor people who lived in the homes along the stairway. Good thing the bigger supermarkets deliver right to the front door! There was a very little old man who was making his way up to his home, with the aid of a cane, and he motivated me! I reasoned, that if he could do it, so could I. Of course, I counted a few more steps than 144, but what are a few steps among friends?

When I made it back down, there was a couple just getting ready to mount. The husband was taking a picture of his wife and I asked him if he wanted me to take one of the two of them. He thanked me profoundly for the offer and said, “Yes!”. After I took it, I asked him to check it and he said it was “parfait.” It was then that I asked him for 2 euros. The look on his face was hysterical; he really wasn't sure what to say or do. Quickly as I smiled and laughed, he realized that I was kidding. I explained that I was from the U.S.A. And wanted to see if I could joke in French. He thought I did very well! (Or he was very polite and really thought I was crazy!) Seems to me the world needs some humor and kindness these days.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.