Existing Member?

Europe 2017

A Long and Rich History

FRANCE | Tuesday, 26 July 2016 | Views [298] | Comments [1]

The closest big town to us is Lannion and like most of the places around here, it is quite rich in HISTORY! Traces of early man have been found dating back to 10,000 B.C. During the Middle Ages, the British even controlled it for a period of time. Located on a large river, of course, made it desirable for trade and a middle class was able to develop and flourish. One of the most lovely homes was built in the 1770's. It is in great shape and as you can see in the photo is still being used. Even the square where the guillotine was employed during the French Revolution is well preserved and marked. In the old town there are many examples of the timbered buildings that were so popular during the early Middle Ages. The three most popular and well preserved are pictured here.

All of the old town is built on a steep hill on one side of the river (easier to defend). And the “new” town is constructed on the other side. The two are united by a plethora of flowers everywhere! Lannion has earned a 4 star Ville Fleurie Award and it is well earned!!!

Comments

1

WOWZA ! your pictures are amazing ! Great eye!
Xxxhugs

  Lorene Jul 27, 2016 9:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.