Existing Member?

Europe 2017

The Valley of Traouiero or “Oh My Gosh, I Can't Believe We Are Climbing in Here!”

FRANCE | Saturday, 23 July 2016 | Views [442]

It is another cloudless, sunny and warm day today. So, Ed had the idea to hike in the Valley of Traouiero because the entire valley is in deep shade provided by huge boulders and an abundance of different fauna and trees. The trail starts out relatively easy but quickly deteriorates into an extremely challenging walk on the wild side! We had to shimmy through boulders, crouch underneath others and climb up and down the valley floor that went from bad to worse to relatively comfortable within seconds.

Apparently, there are at least three entrances to the Valley and within it, several trails. Without knowing it, we picked the most difficult one. In fact it wasn't until we came across one of the other entrance on the whole beaches, that we realized it would have been a lot easier going if we had started there as opposed to hiking back the way we had come. However, our only choices were trying to find the car by the road (in full sun) or attempting to find a “shortcut” back through the valley. Luckily, Ed had shot a photo of the trail map before we started. Between it and another one posted where we were, he was able to navigate us through a “shortcut” back to the car. Some people stopped us and asked us about the trail and I was able to direct them to a different entrance. They were most appreciative because they really weren't prepared for the rough terrain. Even my sneakers slide in places so it was a good thing that I had one of my walking poles and Ed was making good use of the other.

Now, in the comfort of the apartment, looking back on what we did, it was really exciting and fun to be so challenged. And the wooded scenery was certainly worth the effort. Someone spent a great deal of time and thought laying out the different trails. I just wish the trails would have been better marked. But, this has always been a problem in France.

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.