Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

Teaching english in Urumqi!!

CHINA | Wednesday, 4 April 2007 | Views [5517] | Comments [9]

Hi everybody :-) 

First I have been told that my grammer is terrible, so let me apologise now for all future articles.  Lucky I am teaching young kids so its mainly spoken english and they don't have to pick up my bad mistakes. 

So the flight from Beijing was good, I think I was the only westerner on the plane.  It was bad weather so the flight had some turbulance.  As we landed it had begun to snow.  So the weather was much colder than Beijing!!  I was met by my host, Mr Long, who was very nice.  The poor guy had arrived 2 hours earlier as that was when my plane was ment to land but the time changed when I left from Beijing so I had no time to tell him.  So I made a great first impression, DAMN AUSTRALIANS!!  The drive to the school showed that Urumqi was a very poor city compared to larger cities on the east coast.  Urumqi which is pronounced WURUMCHI also has a very different culture compared to other parts of China, very different food and people.  They eat a lot of mutton, and their food is very spicy.  They have a lot of the same vegies, potato, sweet potato, onion, capcicum, tomatoe carrot etc.  The cooking is nothing like western Chinese, though some of the Chinese I had in Beijing was like home, sweet and sour pork etc. 

So we arrived at the school, my first impression was that it was a poor school, but it is one of the best in Urumqi with a lot of facilities like computers, sports and two canteens serving different chinese food.  One is for the Muslim children and does not cook pork!!  I live at the middle school in the apartment blocks on the 5th floor, lots of stairs!!Above me lives another foreign teacher, from South Africa who has been here for 3 years.  My apartment is HUGE, with a kitchen, lounge room, bedroom and bathroom (its bigger than your place Megan).  It is fully furnished, with a big TV, fridge and washing machine.  So this is no poor school!!!

My first night in Urumqi I was taken out to dinner with the other foreign teachers which also included a dinner show.  It was great and it was good to meet the other teachers.  Though my tummy is still adapting to the new foods and might take a while :-(  Lucky I have a good western toilet in my apartment and not a squatter!!!

My first weekend in Urumqi I was taken to the city centre and shown around.  I made some DVD purchases, I got all the latest releases for about $7 AUS and I got 7 DVDS.  They all work well, so if anyone wants any let me know, I can also get all the TV shows dirt cheap!!  I was also shown to the western cafe where I can get a good cheap western meal, even STEAK!!  I was also able to catch the local buses which are cheap and easy to navigate..  Going shopping for food is fun, eveything is in chinese, but generally its like going to a super market back home!! I can get coke, chips and chocolate..So I will survive URUMQI :-)

On to the school.  I am working at the primary school.  I had no idea I would be teaching young kids, but they are fun and love to play games.  The other teachers think they are naughty, they like them to be quiet and not make any sound, but I let them loose.  They like to ask me lots of questions, so all day I answer the same questions, Iam 20, my favourite colour is blue, my favourite food is chocolate on and on.  The Chinese teachers are really nice and helpful, they also like to practice their English with me.  I work with the Chinese english teachers and I am the only foreign teacher that works their Monday till Friday.  There is still a language barrier with these teachers and I am surrounded by Chinese all day, so hopefully I will pick up some of the language!!  I teach the children spoken english, so its just simple language and then they practice speaking.  They are not shy and like to show off their English.  A lot of the foreign teachers don't like teaching the primary kids as they think its to loud because each class has about 40 kids.  I don't mind it, the kids are nice and very cute, but its nice to go home to my quiet apartment. On Monday and Tuesday other foreign teachers come to the school from a program called English First and teach the kids english as well, I met them and they were really nice, but found the kids to loud!!My first week has been hard, adapting to the Chinese way of doing things and also finding out what level the kids english is at.  Generally the children have a good grasp of the English language, but sometimes I think they don't understand what they are actually saying.  They are only repeating what they have been taught to say!!

I am looking forward to the weekend and to a good rest as I am not feeling to well.  I will keep you all up to date with any news and don't worry postcards are coming, I still haven't sent them, sorry!!  Happy easter to all.

Love Katie xxxx   :-)

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Wonderful to read Katie - Ididn't mean to be harsh about your grammar- but this one is an improvement!!!
happy Easter, hope you are feeling better
talk to you tomorrow when Meg is home
Love
MumXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  katie_rose Apr 5, 2007 9:58 AM

2

Great to keep up with you Katie. Do the people there speak Mandarin or a different dialect? How old are the other teachers? I remember working in the ESL unit at Cabramatta a hundred years ago. We used to play "Simon says" and sing "Heads and shoulders, knees and toes". Maybe you can do a chineseish version of "Old MacDonald" to introduce animal names. Do you have worksheets or do you have to make it up yourself? Can't believe you've been gone a fortnight already! Keep us posted - it's great to hear from you. Lots of love - Jane, Bill and Nick.

  Jane and Bill Apr 8, 2007 7:36 PM

3

I found out about your institution on the internet
and that you require English teachers. After the
graduation from the Languages Institute in 2002
I started my pedagogical activity. From 2002 to 2004
I worked at the Andijan Spesial School with special
Stress on English subject. Sinse 2004 to date I have
worked at the Andijan Polytechnical College as English teacher .
I recieved commendation both from colleagues and
pupils on the approach I took in my lessons.
Enclosed is my Resume for your consideration
I look forward to hearing from you.
Positively in the nearest future to arrange an interview time.

Sincerely

Sardor Fazliev.

  fazliev sardor Jun 6, 2007 8:35 PM

4

Hi Katie,
What a pleasure to see your journal as I'm in the process of innoculations for Urumqi. I hope to greet Mr Long on the 25th August and expect to stay the full year.
I am not truly a teacher and the placement only nominated that I be an English speaker. I learnt all the mistakes in my first go in Kiev and so I pray that I shall be better this time.
I did cub/scouts and so noise won't bother me.
I'm 69 but fit enought and I want the adventure. I have been waiting for so long and people keep asking "How was China?" and so next year I shall be able to tell them.
I wish you well in Vietnam!!

  Brian Moriarty Jul 11, 2007 10:08 PM

5

looks like I will be heading out to urumqi in the near future...was great to build up a picture of the place from your blog...keep it coming I will be reading!!! many thanks

  another teacher Apr 8, 2008 2:32 AM

6

Dear Katie,

It sounds amazing! I really want to teach english in Urumqi as well. How on earth did you arrange this? Did you do this on your own without a travelingprogramm or whatsoever? I'm dutch by the way!
thank you and greetz,

Raila

  Raila Sep 16, 2008 9:34 AM

7

i like that place urumqi get me a job please i have been working here in china for a about five years this is my cell phone number 13727568112 i am from cameroon but now in guangzhou looking for a job have a nice day .

  sammy Feb 26, 2010 2:02 PM

8

I have taught English in China in the South west near Hong Kong for three months. I am very interested to teach in Urumgi, I have university degree from Canada, and I am a Canadian, but I am not a white man, so please advice me what are the chances for me to find a job as English teacher, thanks.

  Fry Azi Jan 29, 2013 5:55 AM

9

I applied for a position in Urumqi with TEFL Express and their contact is with Mr Long. I am looking forward to hearing back from him now!! If anyone else wants to have a look: http://teflexpress.co.uk/JobsDetail.php?idd=90. They are who I did my TEFL course with too and I would definately recommend them!

  Maria Mar 21, 2013 8:32 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.