Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Timaru - Mt Potts (Lord of Rings Set) - Christchurch

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 28 January 2009 | Views [1181]

Mt Potts.....absolutely stunning...spent the whole afternoon here...after hours driving on a dirt track.  Well worth it!

Mt Potts.....absolutely stunning...spent the whole afternoon here...after hours driving on a dirt track. Well worth it!

The owner of the backpackers took me and a couple of other to his latest project.  Basically he'd bought the enormous silos at the harbour.  From the top the view was amazing...you could see for miles.

From Timaru I head out toward the Peel Forest, and on to Mt Potts where they used the spectacular scenery for the filming of Edoras (I think) in Lord of the Rings.   It was absolutely amazing, and I was the only one there.  So I just chilled out in the sunshine and took it all in.  The most amazing thing is how they actually built a huge village for the film, and dismantled it leaving nothing. I thought to myself if this is all I saw of the NZ scenery I would be quite content.

The drive to Christchurch was also very beautiful as I took the scenic route though the base of the mountains.  Blue rivers ran through steep cut gorges, and all the time the mountains looming in the distance…it was all very beautiful!!!

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.