Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Departed Queenstown (Before I kill myself doing more extreme activities) to the scenic Milford Sound

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 20 January 2009 | Views [673]

I decided to leave Queenstown before I was tempted to do anymore extreme activities, although the stunt plane looked very tempting.  My destination was Milford Sound, (New Zealands most famous attractions ) in the Fjord area on the east coast. Drove there on my own :-( Tina, my supposed travel companion, let me downoh well it's not as if I'm not use to my own company now.

The drive was very scenic (Despite the rain) with the road climbing and winding up to Homer Pass and through the Homer Tunnel, an eerie experience going through a dark, steep, single track tunnel,  to come out at the other looking down at the valley floor miles below and up at the massive mountains towering above.

Once at Milford Sound I booked a boat trip down the 16km stretch of the ice-carved  Fjord to the sea.  It was stunning, and since it was/had been raining the waterfalls were in full force. Apparently bottlenose dolphins will sometimes ride behind the boatbut I never saw any.

After making our way though the steep mountain pass I disembarked the boat and headed back to the car rather wet.bumped into Regina (from the previous skydive) and her friends.who had also made the long journey from Queenstown in their camper.

I spent the night in Te Anau which I passed through on the way to Milford.  The area is renowned for its beautiful walks and lakes..however, I could'nt get too excited about this as the weather was still badbesides my infection hadnt really healed properly.  However, I was happy to settle for seeing the scenery from the comfort of my luxurious Nissan Sunny.

Spent the night sharing several beers with some people from the hostel.

Memorable Points: Stunning scenery, Fjordland  

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.