Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Motorbiking in Vang Vieng

LAOS | Monday, 17 November 2008 | Views [797] | Comments [1]

Mooooo-ve!!!!

Mooooo-ve!!!!

Myself and four fellow travellers, who I’ve been with in Laos since I arrived, hired some motorbikes to explore the countryside that surrounds Vang Vieng.  We headed north to find some caves that an American had told us about earlier.  It took a while and after asking a few locals together some Pictionary skills managed to locate the caves.

We had to cross a river to access the mouth of the cave, but once inside, the labyrinth of tunnels and chambers went on for ever.  Fortunately I had a torch as it was pitch black inside.  The caves were most impressive, made better by the fact it had not been altered with, i.e. lighting etc. Fearing that the torch batteries may die and that we could be stuck in pitch darkness we made our way back through the tunnels to entrance.

Later in the afternoon headed south to the “Blue Lagoon” and some more caves.  Thinking about it Blue Lagoon was probably not the best reference, Blue….yes, Lagoon ……No……more like a pond by some rice fields.  Felt somewhat cheated, since it was roasting hot and the thought of spending the rest of the afternoon in the lagoon would have been ideal.

In the evening I went out to the Bucket Bar. (Basically no glasses here – small plastic buckets filled with whiskey, coke and redbull)……since I still wasn’t feeling too great I managed to hold back on the buckets…….for now

Memorable points:  Exploring caves, Motorbiking through the Beautiful countryside, friendly locals.

 

Comments

1

DID WORLD NOMAD INSURANCE COVER YOUR BIKING TRIP? WE ARE GOING FROM SEATTLE TO PANAMA AND WERE WONDERING IF THEY WOULD COVER US ON OUR BIKES

  Angelique Mar 29, 2009 5:35 AM

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.