Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Trekking in Luang Nam Tha

LAOS | Friday, 7 November 2008 | Views [423]

A group of eight of us had previously booked a two day trek in the jungle the day before, so kitted out we set off with our guide (Ponzer) up to the hills with the addition of a French couple who later us. 
Since it had been raining for two nights on the trot the ground was extremely muddy and it wasn't long before everyone was covered in mud and slipping over as we waded up the hills through the jungle.  The scenery was amazing...something like Apocalypse Now, one was expecting some helicopters to come over the horizon at any point.  Hopefully you get the picture. 
We stopped for lunch in the middle of the jungle where the guides laid out the table (banana leaves) with a variety of local dishes.  Quite surreal but a great experience. 
 
After several more hours trekking we reached our destination...a local village by the river where we were to bed down for the night.  We washed our clothes and bathed in the river...since there was no running water here!  In fact no power either, candle light only and cooking by fire.  The villagers knocked up a great feast followed by several shots of Lau Lau, the local rice wine...more like firewater.  However, after several of these and a shared bottle of whisky a good night's sleep was imminent. 
After chatting and drinking around the fire, we all bedded down together in a village hut.  Very cosy!!

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.