Existing Member?

My Dumb Idea

The End of an Era

CHINA | Tuesday, 24 November 2009 | Views [601] | Comments [5]

Can we please start out today's story with a moment of silence. .... We had a fallen American hero today. Who you might asks was the fallen American hero, it was my 8 year no puke streak. Not only did my streak end it ended in spectacular fashion. It wasn't just a little tiny puke, oh no. It was a body draining 6 or 7 time in a row super puke. I woke up this morning feeling miserable, I had been up all night with my stomach roiling and using the bathroom. So I decided to take an Imodium Advance to help my stomach. I have lost the ability to take pills since I game to China. I just can't toss it in my mouth and swallow it any more, as an unthinking reflex. My stupid brain gets in the way, once I start thinking about it I think about all of the times I failed in the last couple of months and I just can't do it. It has really become quite a pain, so I am in the habit of breaking my Imodium in half to take it. So I took the first one ok and the second went down completely wrong. It got caught in my windpipe and my automatic gag reflex caused me to spit it up on my kitchen table. Then I sprinted for the bathroom and proceed to lose all of the food I ate yesterday. The best part is the water is turned off right now so I can't flush the toilet. The worst part of a post puke is that you can't get that smell out of your nose. I hate that smell it drives me crazy. Well 1 hour into my new streak, here's hoping it surpasses the last streak.

I was invited along with Finn to go to Hot Pot with him and his students last week. Now Hot Pot is a traditional China meal that is often eaten during the winter. Basically you go in and sit at a table and order a bunch of meat and vegetables. The table has a large recessed propane burner in the center of the table. So after you order they bring you out a pot full of some broth and sauce. Now we got a half and half bowl because I don't do spicy. So they turn the bad boy on and you stare at the other people at the table for like 8 minutes waiting for it to get hot, and then you toss all your food in and wait another 5 minutes or it to cook. Let me just tell you Hot Pot is delicious. We had beef and mutton and mushrooms and potatoes, I even ate some of the tofu, a very small piece. The best part of the night was when we asked the waiter for a new bowl. Now of course we had Chinese people with us so they asked him in Chinese. The waiter just looked at us, starting shaking his head mumbled something and walked away. So one of the guys with us had to get up and get the bowl for us. I guess it is a good thing we don't have to tip in Chinese restaurants, because I would have had to break my always tip rule. So after dinner we decided to go to KTV for a little singing. We all pile into the room and we sang 3 songs and the power went out. So we all popped out our cellphones as a light source and went searching for the problem. Apparently the whole building was without power, so they told us just to wait a few minutes and they would have it fixed. They brought us a candle to light our room, so of course we thought the best thing to do was to tell scary stories. It was awesome because the 3 girls with us would be scared to death but not at the actually scary part of the story. So after a 30 minute weight I decided I would go and help, so I left the room and walked into the hallway and found like 6 employees camped around our door, I guess we were VIP's. So I began in English to explain to these employees that I could help them because I had some experience with electrical problems. I asked them to take me to their electrical room so I could fix the problem. As it turns out the electrical room is right next to the bathroom and one of the toilets broke and flooded the electrical room....ok that is just a joke aimed at Dan J. The truth is we left and discovered that the whole city block was dark. So apparently Finn and I sang so well it turned out the power in a city block, man we are good.

Well I am going to go back to the bathroom, I will be back with a Thanksgiving post in a few days.

Comments

1

Cheers to THE FALLEN AMERICAN HERO.
And I am so glad, you immediately said, the bathroom was "Not really" next to the electrical circuitry room. I almost thought really bad thoughts about Chinese infrastructure.

  d-moss Nov 25, 2009 7:04 AM

2

hi josh, happythanksgiving from all the pattersons.

  gail Nov 27, 2009 8:48 AM

3

You gotta work on your gag reflex, it is all mental. mind over body.

  Dan P Nov 27, 2009 1:46 PM

4

A 30 minute weight ...explain to me,my engrish not so good... and what kind of electrical experience do you have?

  Craig Nov 30, 2009 3:26 PM

5

Oh Josh, how I wish I could hear your anecdotes in person!! Sounds like you are having a great time puking your guts out in China though!

  AmandaB. Dec 1, 2009 1:39 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.