Existing Member?

JASSENDEAVOR 'm going to travel around the world, easternly, from the good ole USA. I plan to be traveling for about 4 months, but who knows what will happen? This is my global adventure. It's a chance to write my own story; but the details will have to be filled i

Berlin Schmerlin

GERMANY | Sunday, 15 March 2009 | Views [599]

Berlin... I am trying to think about what I liked about Berlin, from here in Amsterdam. And due to the contrast, it's difficult.

Berlin was a good-looking, good-feeling city. HUGE. Literally, the buildings, sidewalks, archways, were all huge. It was cold while I was there... I enjoyed taking the U-bahn (underground) and S-bahn (above ground, often literally lifted, off the ground level) modes of transportation. My hostel was in the best neighborhood, north of the historical center, off Edelspleinplaz or something like that...

After a half day of touring the Brandenberg Gates, the main Straats, the book-burning monument, (which are all within a few hundred metres of one another) I decided it would be much more fun to head back to the hostel neighborhood, filled as it was with very cool pubs, bars, cafes, falafel shops, fruit markets, and more. In fact, next door to my hostel was a childcare center, and it was fun to watch the parents drop off their little ones on their bikes, equipped with the telltale child seat in the back.

Little did I know... Amsterdam would trump all cities I've seen so far for 'equipped' bicyles. Babies riding in little adjustable seats up front, two 8 year old sized children riding on the back, one granny sitting on the back... nobody wearing any helmets. Have not seen one bicycle helmet in Berlin and Amsterdam, combined.

But, Berlin... randomly, I will recall with fondness the best baklava I've ever had, from a falafel lunch place in Ederspleinplatz. The nuts and honey were delectable. It is my newfound favorite. Back home I consider baklava typically old, stale, and chewy. This was soooo much better.

Other than that... I found Berlin lacking. I also did not go out, the night scene I know would have been amazing, but I wasn't into it. As I said, I didn't meet anybody amazing... I watched Kill Bill 2 and ate delicous comfort food.

Cheers!

justina

Tags: berlin germany

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.