Existing Member?

JASSENDEAVOR 'm going to travel around the world, easternly, from the good ole USA. I plan to be traveling for about 4 months, but who knows what will happen? This is my global adventure. It's a chance to write my own story; but the details will have to be filled i

"What's your cheapest flight out of here?"

CHINA | Saturday, 16 May 2009 | Views [841]

Update - After algarve, spent windiest few days in Tarifa, Spain off the strait of Gibraltar, (windsurfing capital of the world) waiting for a day when the winds died down enough for the ferry to run, 35 minutes to Morocco, Africa!


Got our passports stamped on the boat, met two Kiwis and immediately decided to head to where they were headed (with their blessing of course), which was out of Tangier, a cruddy port city, and on a bus to Assilah, a beach town on the coast just an hour or so away.

To sum up - Lisa and I spent a week in Morocco before deciding it was too much harassment and we split in Casablanca airport, tearful (for me - Kiwi's a rock as far as I know) and full of the good feeling of having met a really solid, good mate in meeting each other. I know I'll see her soon :)

In the Casablanca airport, I said; "What's your cheapest flight out of here?"

And the answer came back; "London!"


So, when I never thought I'd make it to the UK, you never can say never, because there I landed, in London! Put on some longs and my new leather jacket, and I fit right in. I really like London. It felt good to hear english and be around somewhat awkward white guys - familiar I guess.

In four days, I tried out three hostels. I even got to go for a run in Hyde Park! Most importantly, I was able to apply for a Chinese Visa at the English - Chinese Consulate! Ended up finding a chill atmosphere in southeast London not far off the map in slightly seedy Deptford. I liked it a lot, but was happy to leave the expensive British pound for the Chinese Yeon, or "RBN" (only left us confused for a few days before realizing they are the same).


So, here I write from Beijing, today I walked through the Forbidden City with my friend Shawn from Portland, tomorrow we take a day trip to the Great Wall! The hostel we found is nice, and it feels great to be in Asia. The best food so far has been thin square shaped (extruded) potatoes that are barely cooked so that they are almost raw, and served with white vinegar. You eat with chopsticks, delicious! I also had a nice milk tea float... nicer than Avocado juice from Morocco, which was surprisingly not bad either...

Enough for now,

Later guys!

Tags: china, london, morocco, uk

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.