Existing Member?

JASSENDEAVOR 'm going to travel around the world, easternly, from the good ole USA. I plan to be traveling for about 4 months, but who knows what will happen? This is my global adventure. It's a chance to write my own story; but the details will have to be filled i

Dopo Di Roma

USA | Friday, 27 February 2009 | Views [832] | Comments [2]


After rome, I traveled with a guy from the USA to Sicily, where we toured both Palermo and Agrigento in a lightning-quick fashion before headng east on the island to Catania, which I like a great, great deal. Once again, the hostel means so much... this one is Agora Hostel. Today I paid for a relatively expensive trip in a jeep up Mt. Etna, an hour north. (44 Euros was worth it) The active volcano was, really, active. The last eruption was in 2003, and before that, 2001. We crawled over the rocks of the very bottommost lava from 2001, and felt the rocks still warm and steaming where hot lava still lurks below the surface.

I've also taken a liking to Italian, the language. In Rome I felt odd using so much English, and actually began to have a problem with the idea of travelling and not using the language, even using it terribly.

(For example, my traveling partner, Matt, who even LIVED in Rome, will use the English phrase, "Do you speak English?" to begin a transaction or conversation. Traveling with him, I cringed. It's not my way).

Lo and behold, here in Sicily, I made friends with a few people who work here, in the bar and the restaurant, one of whom is a guy who speaks no English and wants to learn. He had already arranged with another woman who works here, an awesome lady named Betti, who speaks native Italian and very good English, to have an informal "meeting-for-coffee language lesson" - anyway, they found I was interested in learning Italian, and they invited me!

So now I will stay a few more days, at least for our first lesson, in which Hector and I will speak the alphabet to each other in our own languages, and Betti, who was a primary school teacher before doing restaurant work, will oversee it. Also, they're taking me to some Mexican place for music. Last night I went to drum&bass and when I asked what they called it, Hector said "drooman bassseh" and it took me a while to figure that one out.

Cheers, Salut, Arrivederci,
Justina

Current Tentative Future Plan: to head north come march; possibly go to Tuscany, where Betti says the people are fantastic, or the obligatory Venice. Then; Vienna (maybe), Munich (maybe), Prague definitely, Berlin definitely, Hamburg (maybe), Amsterdam, Paris. Then; Bangkok!

PPS I think I was lying when I said I found my groove in Granada. Truly, i've got it now. I think it may have started on literally the first day of my fourth week, when I woke up and walked downstairs thinking "Gosh darn, I would like a cup of real, American, coffee. (AKA, grande drip from Starbucks)

Tags: catania, hector, italian, italy, language, sicily

Comments

1

You 'da woman! (6 degrees here 2/26... no hot lava)

  DJ Feb 27, 2009 12:55 PM

2

Hey from the colonies! Your travel book is wonderful. I did something modestly similar in 1974 but with backpack and tent. In those days we collected at the American Express office to get rides to wherever, packed tent, sleeping bags,food, wine flask and then, returning to cities, stored camping pack in a train locker and carried city clothes to the pension. Met up with friends along the way but could break off and go alone. Rode with motorcycle friend Dan Sullivan to Pamplona and for bulls and then through the Basque Country to San Sebastion where met college friend John Grogan who was studying classical guitar with a mastro who summered in---well, near the Caves of Altmira. I forget name of town. My college roommate was also traveling in France so we met up from time to time in Switzerland, France, and finally London where we left for home. What memories. Didn't get out of western Europe though. You are still the family trail-blazer.

Language tip from another friend: Learn to say "I am..." I have..." and "I want..." in the current language. Then use your phrase book to plug in the vital words like "I am American, I have a ticket to Paris, I want directions." Works pretty well as a crash course. You can embellish from there.

Just called in to Mom and Harold to remind them to check tonight's entry. They are fascinated. Me too.

Where next? (The suspense is killing me!)

Love and double kisses,
Bonnie S the first cousin

  Bonnie Fritz Mar 2, 2009 12:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.