Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Across the French Swiss Alps, the Swiss Italian Alps the next…..then the earth shaking in Lucca

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 June 2012 | Views [819]

Atop the Swiss Alps

Atop the Swiss Alps

Thursday 17th May – Saturday 19th May 2012

Across the French Swiss Alps, the Swiss Italian Alps the next…..then the earth shaking in Lucca

The next few days we spent scooting up firstly with a brief stopover to once again say hi to Kevin, our long lost caravan who will come out of hibernation mid June.  All has gone exceedingly well with its storage over the Winter here, so we said goodbye to it knowing with confidence that leaving it here each European Winter will be fine.  We choofed off through the Alps past the famous ski fields of France…Grenoble, Albertville, Chamonix, Mt Blanc…. taking routes that we hadn’t yet explored, trying to improve our local geographic knowledge.  Surrounded by beautiful mountainous country and lovely old villages we overnighted in Allevard, enjoying our first raclette for this trip, being the specialty of the house in a local restaurant.  With snow on the Alps we set off early morning for another long drive into Switzerland to see Petra et Jogi, in Luscherz, who also have Caroline and Albert, our friends from Darwin staying there. Our stay was short but full of fun and friendship…it’s fun being able to drop in on an increasing number of friends around Europe this year. We ate well, tasted lots of wine, told lots of stories and slept over before heading off towards Lucca with Caro and Albi the next day.  This time it was a fabulous trip through the Alps of Switzerland, starting with a drive the car on the train at Kandersteg which took us through tunnels to Brig.  Then over another engineering marvel…a viaduct in the snow covered pass into Italy.  The rest of the trip to Lucca was in the hair raising motorways that bypass Genoa and the famous Cinque Terre..(next time)… and on to Lucca.  The earth moved that night after our dinner in the old part of town…maybe it was the side effects of the red, but there was a .6 recording of an earthquake a couple of hundred kms away near Bologna.  We headed past the area the next day and saw no sign of damage from the motorway…we were concerned that we would be at Venice airport by 2pm.

Phew, we’re covering lots of kms during this phase of the trip…as planned of course…but it will be nice to slow down when we get back to caravanning next month in Provence.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.