Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

More Provence, the Languedoc and Paris

FRANCE | Monday, 15 August 2011 | Views [729]

Viaduc de Millau

Viaduc de Millau

Friday 5th  - Monday 15th August

Following on “en Provence”…ho hum, where do we start?….we’ve just celebrated the Provence Princess’ birthday at Les Deux Garçons, a little 200 year old restaurant in the main square of Aix where the major pastime is “see and be seen”  Now, for those few who don’t know, this is the restaurant where Hemingway and Cézanne “hung” with their mates…we’re feeling more talented, if a little poorer as a result of our lunch!  Escargots don’t come cheap these days… 

Provence is full of highlights – Grasse is well known as “the perfume capital of the world”.  Perfume museums abound, the small streets are picturesque and along the streets where the perfumeries are, they release scented spray dropped on pedestrians from above.  Provence abounds with rugged scenic mountains, such as the Gorges Du Verdon, St Victoire, Les Mées and the Hautes Alpes. Then there are spa towns like the busy Digne les Bains which was getting ready for its lavender festival. 

In our travels we’ve met many people who became friends.  It was in the campsite laundry at Aix de Provence that we met the lovely Vetter family who live near Cologne.  We enjoyed two home-cooked meals chez campsite – one Germanic, one Aussie – and made plans for a catch up next year. 

We left the van and trekked west for two nights in another region, Languedoc-Rousillon, chez “Clancy”. He’s a highly intellectual being, super intelligent and ultrasensitive…just like Jimbo….hehe Clancy you’re now worthy of being in the blog!!!  He lives in a small village called Péret where a couple of churches’ bells clang away by the hour.  It’s near Roman ruins and the surrounding landscape is a myriad of vineyards – purple grapes this time.  Thanks Clancy for having us to stay…we were there with Cousin David and family who were down from Paris for the Summer hols, so we all set off on a day trip to Pézenas, then to an ancient Roman/Gaulois ruin “Oppidium d’ Ensérune”, which has an amazing pre-, during- and post-Roman history for such a small place.  Fascinating relics in the museum…but as we’ve said, only the hard bits (bone, metal, pottery, stone..) remain…but what about the soft bits?

Then it was on to the town of Béziers - In 1209 this was the site where thousands were massacred in the crusade against the Cathars - the troops of the Pope were ordered to not discriminate between the Catholics and the Cathars - "Kill them all. God will recognise his own".  Religion – so full of hypocrisy……

On a lighter note, Béziers is where an amazing engineer named Riquet was born. He designed the Canal du Midi, to connect the Mediterranean with the Atlantic, allowing commercial traders using barge freight to avoid the perils of the Iberian coast.  There are 9 locks in the space of 2km just next to the town, allowing barges to gain a trajectory that would take them all the way to the coast!  It was a pretty amazing feat for the 18th Century!

We had another sojourn in St Rémy, which has been lovely as we start our return journey to the UK and home…visits to Les Baux de Provence, an old crag of a castle on a crag of a (dolomite!  with ancient shells in the rocks..) hill, surrounded by quarries where the roman (slaves!!) used to hand cut the blocks they needed for their structures and monuments…we’ll be back here, for sure!

We left St Rémy for Paris via the west so that we could see two different bridges – the ancient Pont du Gard with its aquaduct along the top, and the new and highly impressive Viaduc de Millau.  As we neared the Pont du Gard we decided to defer seeing it due to a lack of time, but crossing over the amazing Viaduct on the A75 near Millau was a fabulous experience.  Designed by a British architect and a French engineer it is the tallest but not the highest bridge in the world…..work that out…..yes it has the tallest mast (343m) but the bridge is not the highest!  Completed in ’04 it’s about 2.5km long and only cost about 12 Euros to cross.

Summer holidays and traffic – With 11,769,433 (greater) Parisians living in one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in Europe all leaving for their annual Summer holidays all at the same time so we thought we’d be in for it!!!!  “Black Saturday” was to be avoided at all costs!!!!  Leaving from the South the day before was a brilliant plan…the traffic was easier on the Friday, so the approach to Paris was not too bad.  The outgoing traffic heading past us was extremely heavy as they headed south for their holidays and we often passed 15km long traffic jams.  Saturday is also bad because that’s the day accommodation bookings change, but as we saw – Fridays can still be utter chaos!

Ahhh Paris….we’re staying once again with David and have been pulling down his hedge.  How do you put a 10m x 3m hedge in the trailer to take to the tip in Paris? Proof of residency, vehicle height restriction of 2m…we’re getting through the tip runs…slowly!! At least everyone’s left Paris and we’re here doing battle in the street without too much traffic.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.