Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Back in the UK

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 23 June 2011 | Views [353]

The show at West End

The show at West End

Wednesday 15th – Wednesday 22nd June  - UK

Pottering around the UK

Here we are back in the UK, enjoying the northern summer solstice with daylight hours that go for 16 hours from 4.45.34am until 9.20.26pm (…approximately!).  It’s great chasing the endless summers around the world.  This week we’ve been on a pre-caravan spending spree with Kevin due to be handed over, hopefully, by Friday.  You think you've jumped the hurdle when you buy the van, but there’s a world of work involved in fitting it out. 

A few highlights in the last week have been seeing the Battle of Britain monument, near Dover….quite a poignant reminder of how close Britain came to being overrun by the Germans in 1940.  Then for a total change of scenery, an afternoon in Kent, at Great Dixter, an interesting house of classic Kent architectural style….curved terracotta tiled roofs, timber and daub external walls.  We met Amanda there and had a wonderful afternoon immersed in the gardens full of perennials, vegies, topiary and garden seats to relax in!  Amanda brought us some of her home made bhajias and pakoras which she sells in the area from her food vans at markets and festivals.  Yummo!!  Organic and light….here’s a plug for you Amanda….http://www.motherbhumi.co.uk/   We stayed the night and indulged in more of her cooking and had a skype chat to our mutual friend Paul from Wonthaggi who can’t wait to see her (and us)!

The next big attraction was a splurge (with our UK friends Emma & Sam), at a ritzy hotel in London last Saturday evening with tickets to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, all at “mates-rates” courtesy of some Botswana friends!  The musical is excellent and we know a lot of our Aussie mates have enjoyed it.  Costumes were amazing…it's given Jim a few ideas for decking out our caravan!  We’re thinking glitter, neon, hot pink, and fluff…any suggestions welcome…..

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.