Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Luscherz to Paris, via Hotel-Dieu, Beaune, Burgundy

FRANCE | Tuesday, 14 June 2011 | Views [1072]

The Burgundian style tiled roof on the Museum Hotel Dieux.

The Burgundian style tiled roof on the Museum Hotel Dieux.

Wednesday 7th June  - Luscherz to Paris.

Leaving Luscherz once more and heading out on a very wet morning we headed up through the mountains to Le Locle, situated very close to the French border…no wonder the family found it easy to flee into Switzerland from France in the old days.  We took the drive through Burgundy with one stop in historic Beaune to see the c1443 Hôtel-Dieu, a former hospital for the sick and starving residents of the town, (this was just after the Hundred Years War so there was a bit of misery and poverty around then…).  Lucky though that they were able to fund the hospice through their wine making and to this day their wine is still sold at auction.    If you’re into medicine then the ancient surgical instruments and old pharmaceutical bottles in this museum are quite interesting, as is the large room which shows the rows of beds with their bright red blankets and wash basins, with the chapel at the end to allow the infirm hear the services.

After arriving in Paris in peak hour and managing the maniac motor-cyclists and the intricate road system, courtesy of our trusty Tom Tom with its clear instructions to get us back to Cousin David’s at Cormeilles-en-Parisis, we have since been happily ensconced here once again and are enjoying immersing ourselves with the French way of life yet again….

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.