Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

The battlefields…, Hannibal vs the Romans, Lake Trasimeno, Tuscany, 475 BC

ITALY | Saturday, 4 June 2011 | Views [2082]

Friday 27th May

The battlefields…, Hannibal vs the Romans, Lake Trasimeno, Tuscany, 475 BC

No holiday is complete without a re-enactment of a bloody massacre between Romans and Carthaginians…is it?  Immersing ourselves in the Roman fortifications, the preparations for battle, failure to listen to warnings from lieutenants…you know the story…we felt the leggiones (leggings) tuniciones (chest pieces), the helmetiones (the helmets) and the codionnes (cod pieces) being strapped on in preparation for battle…we were THERE! 

Then, 4 hours later…and 15,000 Roman fatalities later…it was all over!  Hannibul with his elephants, his brilliant tactics and his good luck decimated the Romans in this, the first of three major battles, on the north side of Lago Trasimeno (in Umbria)…he went on to Cannae and won, then Trebia and won…but declined to tackle Rome itself..hmmm, imagine if he’d taken that next step?  Where would our world be now?  We’d be speaking Carthaginian (I already think some of our friends do!) we’d be wearing togas (cheaper and probably more flattering as we get older…), we’d be riding elephants for public transport (collapsing road toll, I think?)…makes you wonder, doesn’t it!!

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.