Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Seronga - at a retreat by the Delta, a sports day and a cutltural day

BOTSWANA | Saturday, 2 April 2011 | Views [1157]

The kids on the tug of war!

The kids on the tug of war!

8th – 14th  March 2011

Debbie’s retreat at Seronga in far north Botswana, south of the panhandle.

A friend offered for us to stay at her retreat right next to the reeds, the water and the hippos of the Delta.  It’s about 8km from Seronga and well off the main road.  She's built 2 mud huts for accommodation, a large reed and thatch hut for cooking and lounging and another hut for the ablutions…behind the reed walls are a loo and a shower with hot water heated by the “donkey boiler”, a wood fire under a boiler.

The photos tell it all….men just 20m away from us fishing for bream from their mokoros, the fabulous colours and sunsets of the Delta, the many times we had lunch by the campfire with another old friend and reminisced and shared books.  We asked one of the fishermen for a trip in his mokoro.  Three hours of gliding through the reeds and water lilies, past distant hippos and seeing the many birds…African fish eagles, spurwing geese, African darter, egrets to name a few…how peaceful and amazing….

Two very special highlights were the Sports Day held on the Saturday in Seronga where we joined in (and provided a tow rope for) the tug of war.  There were some very impressive 110m runners – male, female and kids.   Then on Sunday, we were the only pale faces amongst a sea of interesting people at a cultural event – a sort of talent quest competition held under shady trees in the village.  They had to face a team of judges and a few of the town dogs kept the audience amused by cavorting in the sand alongside the dancers.  We were so lucky to see many traditional songs and dances all very colourful and expressive.  We asked if we could photograph the people around us…..wide eyed children, craggy faced men, a mother teaching her baby how to “click”, grandmothers with grandchildren, kids fascinated with our camera!

After 5 days there we said goodbye with a promise of meeting in the UK next month!  The road back was again torturously bumpy and the next surprise for Jim was whilst waiting for the car ferry he saw his former driver (when Jim worked with the Roads Dept), Joshua, who was equally surprised to see his former boss!  Joshua drove him on the long stretches of roads around NW Botswana checking road conditions - to beat the boredom of the journey he taught Jim Setswana.

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.