Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Getting ready for the overland trip through Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi then Tanzania

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 14 February 2011 | Views [1316]

Some dirty feet in the roof top tent on the hilux.....

Some dirty feet in the roof top tent on the hilux.....

Sunday 13th February

Getting ready for the overland trip

Well we’ve spent the last few days and definitely need the next few days to get the Hi Lux organized as we intend to leave at the end of the week to head through Botswana to Namibia to Mark & Margie’s tourist camp (Ngepi Camp) on the northern part of the Okavango Delta, which is right on the Okavango River.

A little history about the location of Ngepi Camp.  It is right on the beautiful Okavango River and caters for tourists.  They have treehouse accommodation and tent sites.  More on this later….but see their site….www.ngepicamp.com/

Angola is just over the river from Ngepi camp and to the north is Zambia.  The Caprivi Strip was once a part of Botswana but was swapped by England with Germany for Zanzibar and an island off England.  England then gave them the Caprivi Strip as Germany wanted a railway line connection between the west and east coast.  Because Germany lost WW2 this area over the river then went under the protection of the Sth African Govt but after lost lives and money it was given to the SWAPO as their country. 

We head off later this week but in the meantime we are checking that both vehicles have all necessary equipment and fuel, water, food etc.  We will be staying with friends, in the roof top tents and at Africa House in Zambia (the residence of Gore-Browne who in 1914 started to build an English mansion which is now open to tourists).

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.