Existing Member?

No place like home...Thank goodness !!! For those of you that know us, you'll already know the story, basically we decided that we've both worked enough (I've been working for 11 years, Danielle for 11 Months) and that we deserve some long overdue R&R and decided to take in some sights....enjoy

Santiago, Mendoza, Valparaiso etc with the Staffords (Except Kagelbutthead!)

CHILE | Tuesday, 25 September 2007 | Views [1238] | Comments [1]

So, after racing through Bolivia and catching a killer 23hr bus journey from San Pedro De Atacama in the north of Chile, we were pleased to arrive in Santiago 6 hrs ahead of the time that the Staffords had TOLD US they would arrive. After filling up the fridge with beer and some food, and buying some expensive flowers, we took a taxi to the airport to be there as Mr M and Mrs Staff` walked through immigration.

Of course when they said the flight arrived at 2355, they actually meant it departed Madrid at 2355, how silly of us (as you can imagine it took some time to work this out at the airport where most offices where closed and no-one spoke English!!)

The next morning, with still no sign of the Staffords, we started to
get concerned, but as they weren't answering emails/calls, there wasn't
much we could do. Eventually Malcolm answered his phone to advise that
he was downstairs in the lobby...

The holiday for the Stafford didn't start on a good note unfortunately, on our first (of lots thanks to Malcolm's 'buying mood') shopping trip out, some vagabond stole Malcolm necklace (that he's had for years and years), on that not we decided to leave Chile for a few days and take in some sights (wine) in Argentina...but not before wandering around the Plaza De Armes, the San Cristobal and of course going up the fernicular railway (for Mr M).

The drive through the Andes was, as you'd imagine, truly spectacular,
and for the first time on our travels Dan found someone to equal her
picture taking quantities, her mum. There was an issue at the border with
the car, which following several phone calls to Malcolm's friend
Christian ('Christain, its Malcolm....', 'Christan, how long does it take to send a email...' - you kinda had to be there for true comic value) and
about 4 hours, we managed to resolve it. As there was nothing better to do,I decided to have some alone time on the nearby slopes of Portillo,
which involved skiing some lovely runs...

We arrived in the lovely Argentine town of Mendoza early the next day
and straight away the Staffords started the shopping, and I'm proud to
report that we are all members of the cacti apparell club! The hotel
that Danielle found was lovely, tucked away on the outskirts of Mendoza in Chacras De Coria and a perfect base for the bikes and wine tour that
we started the next day. After a full days biking (well 4hrs) we all finished the tour with sore bums, and I even managed a 'scar' when I fell from the bike trying to be a smartarse! Although we were quite disappointed that we weren't merrier, although this is something Malcolm made up for in the evening, during his talk with his 'friend' Danielle!

The tour also included visiting Vina del Mar and Valparaiso, from Santiago, Vina being the ´posh´seaside town and Valpo´the nearby port (very shabby chic!). We wandered around the streets, had a yucky meal by the port and of course, after climbing up the streets took the fernicular railway down!

We also managed to squeeze in seeing our good mate christian, along with Rachael who we met in Bolivia. Christian even got to sample some Stafford cooking in our apartment after a day at the central market...lucky boy!

On our last day together,James and I thought it would be nice to relax in some natural springs in the mountains (recommended by the good old Lonely Planet), the springs were a 2hr drive from Santiago and when we arrived we found that these ´springs´ were actually just jacuzzis in tiny little rooms! It was quite funny and we did get to enjoy an eight course meal in the hotel! ha!

After a tearful (and prolonged, due to LAN problems AGAIN!) goodbye, we headed for Buenos Aires our bags a little lighter, thanks to the entire suitcase we filled and left with the Staffords!

James´s favourite pic of the day!

James´s favourite pic of the day!

Tags: Scams & Robberies

 

Comments

1

What a truly magnificent report. The writer should work for Spotlight or at the very least CVC.

All my love
xx

  Mr. Malcolm Sep 27, 2007 6:03 PM

About jamesanddan

Underwater us (we got in trouble for taking this picture as we didn't stay in our group !!)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.