Existing Member?

No place like home...Thank goodness !!! For those of you that know us, you'll already know the story, basically we decided that we've both worked enough (I've been working for 11 years, Danielle for 11 Months) and that we deserve some long overdue R&R and decided to take in some sights....enjoy

A Whistle Stop Tour of Uruguay

URUGUAY | Tuesday, 9 October 2007 | Views [1332]

After being completely annoyed by the Argies in Tigre I was glad to be leaving and going to Uruguay (´Argentina without the attitude´ according to the LP), if only for a few days.

We arrived in the very sleepy little town of Carmelo that morning and didn´t really do much to be honest. We wandered around, booked a bus, sat reading on the beach, got bitten by massive mosquitos and ate ice cream! First impressions of Uruguay were good, but strange - they have fantastic large houses, but then the roads outside are half sealed, half gravel and it just looks....well poor.

That afternoon we caught the local bus an hour down the road to Colonia del Sacramento, a tourist mecca for its cobbled streets and pretty Portugese cottages. We were planning to go on a horse trek, but crap weather and awful earaches (James, in my ear! ha!) prevented that (gutted about that!), so we just took in the culture and moaned some more about Argentinian food (you can´t live on steak, but thats ALL they do well!!).

As we were en route to Puerto Iguazu, we headed up North to a ´city´ called Paysandu, which all in all was pretty much a non event - although, we did see a photo exhibition by the same guy that we saw in Sydney (so odd...in the middle of no where!!!) and stayed in a yucky hotel (literally the only one in town, and they were very friendly!).

Deciding to hop across back to Argentina, on a Sunday, was a bad idea - there was literally no way of getting there (and bearing in mind it was about 20mins max across the river, it wasn´t that funny!). We ended up getting a taxi to the border, walking a couple of miles into Argentina and then hitch-hiking into the nearest town of Colon (which isn´t even mentioned in the LP - but is a heck of a lot nicer than many of the places that are!). James DIDN´T watch the Boca v River Plate game on the TV instead the crowd instead (the channel didn´t have the rights to show the game so just focused on the crowds and added commentary - love it!) and then watched the Argentina V Scotland Rugby as I fell asleep.....

We are now an hour the WRONG direction away from Colon and waiting for our bus to Iguazu, we may get there sometime this week.....

The long walk back to Argentina.....

The long walk back to Argentina.....

Tags: I should have known better!

 

About jamesanddan

Underwater us (we got in trouble for taking this picture as we didn't stay in our group !!)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.