Existing Member?

No place like home...Thank goodness !!! For those of you that know us, you'll already know the story, basically we decided that we've both worked enough (I've been working for 11 years, Danielle for 11 Months) and that we deserve some long overdue R&R and decided to take in some sights....enjoy

Buenos Aires, the Second Time Around...

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 9 October 2007 | Views [865] | Comments [1]

Our second visit to BA was, as usual on the second visit, far better this time around!

We stayed in the district of San Telmo in a ´pent house´ hostel room (well it was on the top floor anyway!). San Telmo is a beautiful area, very bohemian with the most beautiful architecture of the whole city. WE arrived on market day so spent the day in the sunshine wandering around, living up the ´cafe culture´, we even managed to see a spot of Tango in the square that evening after our lomo (steak.....) at the local Parilla. How very Argentinian!

Unfortunately the weather was absolutely DIABOLICAL on the day we (along with Karin) visited the Plaza de Mayo (where the famous Evita balcony is on Casa Rosada) and made the looooooong and wet journey to La Boca. La Boca is basically where the Italian Immigrants settled, is very colourful and not very safe at all! The rain completely destroyed any nice photos that could have been taken and we were all soaked through (well the one arm that wasn´t under the umbrella was anyway!). We stopped in a touristy cafe for tea and tango and then made a sharpish exit on the bus!

That evening we were all very civilised and went for a dinner party at Rachael´s apartment around the corner from our hostel....got very drunk on who knows how many bottles of wine and basically completely wiped out the next day....

We said goodbye to Tim and Rachael in a beautiful restaurant in San Telmo and had the MOST delicious steak known to man!!!

Tigre is a town an hour outside of BA, which is where we were catching the boat to Carmelo in Uruguay! It is very British (or European at least), canal running right through the middle, canal boats, tudor style houses and a cool little market at the port. We also stayed in a 10* hostel, shame it was only for one night!

On to Uruguay.....

Tags: Culture

 

Comments

1

Hello chap and chapette,

How's things going, you look like you're having a whale of a time and we all love the photos you guys have been adding recently (they'll surely have a certain major swedish retailer interested.
Just wanted to drop you a quick whisper, you should put some more piccies of you guys up. We haven't seen you in ages and miss the silly little things you get up to. The piccies from Singapore and Japan were really funny - let's have more hidding behind trees with the alps in the background! They are great little memories..

Anyway, See you in a few months, need to work out my driving skills till then!

Love to you both x

  selina Oct 11, 2007 7:21 PM

About jamesanddan

Underwater us (we got in trouble for taking this picture as we didn't stay in our group !!)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.