Existing Member?

No place like home...Thank goodness !!! For those of you that know us, you'll already know the story, basically we decided that we've both worked enough (I've been working for 11 years, Danielle for 11 Months) and that we deserve some long overdue R&R and decided to take in some sights....enjoy

Wannabe America

JAPAN | Tuesday, 31 July 2007 | Views [1663] | Comments [4]

So....

After a wonderful 6 weeks in Japan, we arrived in Tokyo for our last 4 days! All I can say is that i'm glad we didn't do it first, it would have diminished our view of Japan....

Tokyo was OK, nothing spectacular, just OK! We were expecting Hong Kong style chaos, but actually it was nothing like that...just your average city to be honest!

We did however - spend a magical day at Tokyo Disneyland!! Which of course I LOVED (and James put up with). We even got to meet 'Cpt Jack Sparrow' (We were hoping for a Japanese one, but he was Western!). Very American though - if it hadn't been for the crazily dressed Japanese (they literally went dressed up as Minnie Mouse -ears and all!), you could have been in Anaheim! We also blew the budget and I got a 'Stitch' popcorn holder (will come in VERY useful on our travels i'm sure!) and matching Tokyo Disney ponchos! We will look soooooo cool doing the Inca Trail in them!

To add to our trip to 'Americana' we caught a game of baseball - Tokyo something or other Vs The Hiroshima Carp! Hiroshima won by a mile (We were supporting them, so were happy!)...the game lastest a total of 2hr55mins! And a joyous time it was too! The hotdogs were yum yum yummmy!

For those of you that have seen 'Lost In Translation', we decided to visit the hotel bar (Bar New York - appropriate name!) at Park Hyatt, Shinjuku! However, it was a bit off the cuff and we both had shorts and flip flops on...of course as soon as we had arrived at floor 88 (or close) and taken a little peek of where Bill Murray sat, we were kicked out! Oh well....at least we saw it!

That was about it in Tokyo - wandered around in Harajuku Park looking at strange men taking photos of ugly girls, and stranger girls dressed ..well...strangely! We also visited a War Shrine, with protests outside because it names war criminals and the museum gives a very Japanese take on the causes of 'Pearl Harbor'. Quite interesting actually!

So, with tears in our eyes, Mt Fuji climbing sticks in our hands (we were too lazy to post them home, then found out the POs were all shut on the Sat before we left!), Lilo and Stitch Popcorn Carrier strewn across my shoulder....we said goodbye to Japan and made our way to Narita Airport (on the slow train, to save GBP 2!).  

Lilo and Stitch popcorn bucket...

Lilo and Stitch popcorn bucket...

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Be very interesting in Jap take on Pearl Harbour - let me know. Trust you are enjoying yourself with the sloee better not say it I suppose.

Love ya
DadMr.M

  mr malcolm Aug 3, 2007 12:31 AM

2

IM SOOOOOOOO Jealous you guys went to Disney!!! i love it i love it i love it!!!!! yayayayay!!! x

  leigh Aug 3, 2007 8:11 PM

3

Hello!! is kayleigh's friend aimee!! just wanted to say im sooooooo jealous of you too!! :) i love disney!! hehe.
Hope your having a really good time,
Speak to you soon x

  aimee! Aug 13, 2007 12:28 AM

4

I think i need a dose of Disney soon, Feb 2008 sounds good i think...............hmmmmm
Looking forward to more updates, understand the 'little blackcurrant' has broken, better get it fixed soon!!!!
Love ya Mum xxxxxxxxxxx

  krysia Aug 13, 2007 6:26 AM

About jamesanddan

Underwater us (we got in trouble for taking this picture as we didn't stay in our group !!)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.