Existing Member?

40 Years Later 40 years later, the gnome takes a step out the door to pick up where the trip turned back many years ago.

It must be Hawaii

USA | Wednesday, 18 March 2015 | Views [463]

In Texas we put the Alamo on shopping bags at HEB grocery store. Here, where they make musubi, a marvelous Spam sushi roll, the picture and instructions go on the grocery bag. My wife is not so fond of musubi, but I admit to,liking the Spam version. And where else can you get chicken with noodles on two large scoops of rice with macaroni salad and ono/delicious bread pudding with macadamia nut sauce on top? Of course, the carb and calorie load (though we split that meal, like usual) put us to sleep for and hour and a half.

Yesterday the adventure was up to the Nuuana Pali lookout on the old Pali Highway with wonderful views of half of Oahu. The plaque marks this highway when it was built in 1898 for carts and model T's shortly thereafter. The old trail had been a hair-raising foot path up and down green but nearly vertical fluted cliffs. 

Today our family and friends forgot about the time difference and called or dinged our messages at 5. No worries, as they say here, we wanted an excuse for sunrise photos, an earlier walk to Lanikai Beach, and the Byodo-In Buddhist temple, sitting dramatically at the edge of the mountains. 

Tags: musubi, pali lookout, temple

 

About gnome-san


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.