Existing Member?

40 Years Later 40 years later, the gnome takes a step out the door to pick up where the trip turned back many years ago.

Another splendid week in Pacific Northwest

USA | Friday, 6 March 2015 | Views [404]

What can be better than escaping the snow of north Texas and the 80-90 degree temperature alternating with 35 degree weather on the border? Two perfect weeks of spring with plum flowers, cherry blossoms, hyacinth, daffodils, tulip trees, azaleas, camellias, and pear, alongside astounding views of  the silivery smooth  Sound backed by the chain of snow-topped and speckled Olympic Mountains. And turning 90 degrees, the ghost-like, distant but huge white silhouette of Mount Rainier. 

Yesterday was a hike part way to Twin Falls along abeautiful riversof crystal flowing water shining emerald over round stones, and  finally sittiing  on a bench at the overlook into the Valley with the two falls and the sunlit river below. The second, alternate trail around the landslide was a steeper hike up a gravel road at the frostline where the ground was still solid and frost was on the roadside plants Through magnificent forest.

Even the windy day crossing Puget on the ferry and driving up to Port Townsend was still bright, though cold enough that it quickly became time for tea  while watching the sunlight on the bay and the views of mystic white Mt Baker in the distance Beyond the piers with a huddle of wintering boats. Ah, a marvelous spring in the Northwest. 

 

About gnome-san


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.