Existing Member?

40 Years Later 40 years later, the gnome takes a step out the door to pick up where the trip turned back many years ago.

Springtime in Seattle

USA | Saturday, 21 February 2015 | Views [180]

Cherry and plum blossoms on every block, daffodil and crocus coming out, hints of blue behind the clouds, and even one lovely cool but mostly sunny day shimmering on the bay, it is early spring in Seattle. 

Our first try with Home Away is an unqualified success, a beautiful basement that doesn't feel like one, due to recessed windows with visible sky and light.  The house is a quick block long walk to a bluff view of the scattering of freighters and occasional yacht on the calm water of Puget Sound, with a half mile park and sidewalk along the top of the cliff. We've also had the most marvelous jaunts despite a bit of mist  and mud in the Washington Arboretum, though the Japonese garden doesn't open for a couple of weeks.

Discovery Park with a few miles of trails is just north a mile or so along the coast at the site of old Fort Lawson, once a naval base for WWII and prison camp for Italians. A small white church and some very neat yellow and white frame two story colonel's residences remain for rent. 

Ruth's phone went on the blink, so that meant exploring for the Apple Store, but much closer than finding one in McAllen.  And, unfortunately for Ruth, I found the flagship REI store, but they at least have a cafe with excellent  tea. Retirement has been a most agreeable state.

 

 

 

 

 

About gnome-san


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.