Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Faro, Tuesday 10 July

PORTUGAL | Tuesday, 10 July 2018 | Views [239]

Chapel of the bones

Chapel of the bones

Having run for the last two weeks (and me for the few before) I decided to have a morning in and just stayed in bed.  Ian went for a walk and when he returned we took off for the town centre and did a Far-Eco Tuk tour which was a sort of electric covered scooter for 6.  We were the only ones on ours and it was excellent.  The guide was very informative about the town and its history (going back to the Romans) and also took us to a small fishing town.  He also told us good places to go and where to get good value meals.  So now with our heads full of detail we headed to the archaeology museum.  It was all about the local genuine Roman ruins and artefacts and it was well set up in a style older building.  Was worth the visit.  Then checked out the Igreja do Carmo, one of the local churches and its chapel of bones.  The story goes that when the church was renovated, the poor were buried outside the church and the rich inside, but the renovation mixed the bones up and they realised that it doesn’t matter – when you are dead, you are dead – so they built the chapel with all the bones.  Tea was at a restaurant recommended by the tour guide (Taberna Ze Ze) and we had the local delicacy, Cataplana, which had fresh lobster, prawns, scampi, razor clams and more (all caught in the local area) in a great sauce. 

 

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.