Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Budapest, Thursday 19 October 2017

HUNGARY | Thursday, 19 October 2017 | Views [277]

At the castle enjoying the day

At the castle enjoying the day

The buildings in Eastern Europe are quite deceptive.  While they often state a date of the initial build, this s probably the first of many builds.  Many building were destroyed when the Ottoman empire took over, in the uprising in 1848, during the world wars or during the Communist era.  What this means is the foundations of the buildings are incredibly old, but the buildings not so much even though many have been rebuilt in the style of old.  Finally I got to go on my funicular up to the castle!  Up there we got lost in the well presented Historical Museum of Budapest.  There are four floors and the “cellar” is historical ruins going back to 1500s and very interesting.  It took us over four hours and even then we did not do it justice.  Back out in to a beautiful day where we found an outdoor coffee shop where we purchased the last two of his beers and sat for a bit, watching the crowd and admiring the view.  Then off to the Fisherman bastion – some remarkable views over the river and a surprisingly white structure considering the air quality.  Managed to score the last tour up the tower of the Matthias church and walked up the 197 steps in a very tightly confined circle.  It was a great view from the top.  Caught the Metro home as too many steps today, and an easy tea out.

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.