Existing Member?

Cayte & Ian Travels

Cambodia, Sunday March 29

CAMBODIA | Monday, 30 March 2015 | Views [264]

Cambodia national museum - a light moment on a serious day

Cambodia national museum - a light moment on a serious day

Happy birthday Janice. Today we started the day with a visit to the Royal Palace. As you would expect everything was rather ornate.  The current king is a 63-year-old bachelor. The piece de resistance was a Buddha with 90kg of gold and 2086 diamonds.  The rest of the pieces on display were interesting. There were rabbits too? From there we went to the Killing Fields. It is reminiscent of Dachau, but in many ways much worse. These people turned on their own kind including women and children with unbelievable brutality. From there we went to S21 which was the prison camp where people were kept and tortured before being sent to the killing fields. All in all a very sombre morning.  The afternoon was at the Museum. In some ways it was interesting but very reminiscent of the fact that this is a very poor country, with open air halls and minimal protection for the pieces. We went out to tea on the banks of the Mekong, where my food wasn't bad, but the rest were not so lucky .  The electricity did keep going out and the waiters kept losing our orders. The cocktails were very good though :)

About europe2013

Om Marble Mountain

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.