Existing Member?

More News from Somewhere So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Coral Coast, Fiji

FIJI | Monday, 20 September 2010 | Views [680]

We're coming up to our last couple of days in Fiji, it should be pretty hectic as soon as we hit Canada. The current plan is to hit Seattle and Vancouver when we arrive, and head north after interviews.

There has been insane swell here the last couple of days, apparently Cloudbreak has hit 20' and Kelly Slater and a bunch of the pros have come across to surf it. Unfortunately its not viable for us to get out there - I'd pay good money to see that. As it is, the Beachouse (our current place of doing as little as possible) has been hit, its boat lost its line last night about 2am and needed to be rescued, and one of its boardwalk areas got washed away.

We went down to the rugby on Saturday (stuffed into the back of a ute with 6 other guys); the local Nadro boys defended the cup from the challengers from Tailevu. It was bloody hot, and the guys played with a lot of energy, and still managed a small scrap about 10 minutes from the end. Good times.

Got some fishing in Saturday morning too. We had a bit of luck, picking up a Giant Trevally, Coral Trout and Big-eye Snapper. The backpackers kitchen had no knives or other cooking utensils for meals more complicated than 2 minute noodles. Happily a consultant chef working here from Byron Bay offered to cook them up for us in exchange for a couple of beers. Best meal yet.

Tags: beaches, fishing, sport

 

About elis82

Nacula Island Folks

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.