Existing Member?

More News from Somewhere So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Leaving Perth; Nadi, Fiji

FIJI | Thursday, 2 September 2010 | Views [873]

Well, we got away from Perth all good. Preparations went up right until the last second, but an excellent run into the airport meant that we ended up with time to burn; just as well as we hadn't really done our goodbyes to Bron's family. This oversight was redressed, and we were in no rush to board our plane.

First stop was a 6 hour stopover in Auckland International Airport. Time was filled with food and sleeping. We headed off to Nadi, Fiji for some hardcore beaching.

The greatest plans of mice and men were waylaid by uncharacteristicly bad weather; apparently the first rain in about a month, so about on par with Perth's winter this year. First stop, the Sofitel, for a few nights of subsidised luxury. Determined not to let the overcast, windy and moderately cool weather stop us, we say like the pool like stubborn Englishmen, drinking cocktails and eating seafood.

Our time of penny-pinching luxury past (less quite some pennies) we left Port Denarau for Wailoaloa Beach for a couple of days of planning, cheap booze and kava.

Our time has afforded us a few learning experiences.

  1. Bring a decent pocket knife. Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking this might be an option at duty free. Even cursory thinking should determine this isn't going to be an option.
  2. Ask security guards not attached to resorts for local travelling tips. This may just turn a $30 taxi trip into a $2 one. Which is a win, if you find out before forking out $30 for a 20 minute taxi trip from the airport. Jerks.
  3. Buy your basic pharmaceuticals from supermarkets, not pharmacies. This will save you a lot of money. Jerks.

So next stop is the beaches of Yasawa, with snorkeling and diving to our hearts content. From there, the coral coast for more of the same, with hills. Finding our travelling feet, which is great.

Photos to follow in a little while. Probably. Also, some more inciteful, less kava driven text.

Tags: beaches, fiji

About elis82

Nacula Island Folks

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.