Existing Member?

Adventures of a short vet

Traipsing Around Turku

FINLAND | Monday, 13 June 2011 | Views [492]

I woke up to a cloud-heavy sky threatening to rain, which made it a perfect day for travelling to Turku, a quick 2 hour train ride on the other side of the country. Which was made more exciting by a clothing malfunction when my coke decided to explode as I opened it. Luckily my bag was handy enough for me to be able to get another shirt!

I arrived in Turku to find the rain well and truly set in, and weatherproofed my gear in the train station for the 30 minute walk to yet another hotel, this time not as flash as the first one but conveniently located at the ferry terminal where I would be catching my next ferry to Stockholm. Nothing like a long walk in the rain carrying a heavy backpack to make you appreciate a good hotel bed! After a wee nap I undertook the 3km walk back into town via the waterfront, checking out all the beautiful old rigged ships and a random giant daisy. Unfortunately all the museums are closed on a Monday so I planned to hit them the following day. Tip of the day: When staying in a slightly old hotel on the waterfront in a quiet town, don’t watch “The Red Dragon” on your own!

One good thing about the hotel was the massive buffet breakfast, so after stuffing myself I walked down to Turku Castle, where I spent a couple of hours wandering through the rooms of the rebuilt castle. After a much-needed coffee I walked down to the Maritime Museum, which didn’t take too long to check out as not much of the information was in English, though the model ships were great (if that’s your kind of thing). Since the weather was hideous and there wasn’t much else to do in town, I decided to try to find a hairdressers to deal with my mop of hair. Thank goodness they spoke English well as that could have been a disaster!

Tags: castle, ferry, maritime museum, turku

About drmitch

Dr Nick my travel companion

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.