Existing Member?

Adventures of a short vet

Meeting the group

EGYPT | Sunday, 20 June 2010 | Views [441]

Our awesome tour group - Intrepid Extreme!

Our awesome tour group - Intrepid Extreme!

As we were only meeting up in the evening, I had the option of hiring a driver for the day to see a few of the sights in Cairo, but after a manic week at work and very little sleep on Friday night I decided to take it easy that day. I would have plenty of time to see the city on our tour and didn’t see the need to pay more money to some random driver to take me to all his friends’ & families’ houses where I would be expected to contribute towards their income as well (as happened with one of the other people in the group who chose to do the tour).

After a lazy day I woke up from an afternoon nap (hey I’m on holiday!) to knocking on my door. Unfortunately, although I was conscious I couldn’t move yet due to a weird sort of waking paralysis I’ve inherited from my father, so the poor girl had to be let in by the maid and I felt like a right idiot. Turns out my roommate Jen, is an Aussie from Melbourne traveling with another girl for a year, and they’re being joined by another friend for a month’s travel through the middle east. I was immediately jealous.

We headed down to the lobby to meet the rest of the group. Carly & Jo were the other two Aussies, and we were joined by 2 American girls, Aly & Jackie, from California. Our guide, Hossam, or “Sam” as he told us to call him so that we wouldn’t get the pronunciation of his name wrong and inadvertently call him “horse” in Arabic, is a very talkative, very cheeky Cairo resident who never tires of teaching us new words or telling us stories of previous trips, in between picking play fights like an annoying little brother. Couldn’t have asked for a better, more relaxed guide really. We didn’t meet our final group member, Shaun, another Aussie from Melbourne (what are the chances!) until 9pm – AFTER our meet and greet. Apparently he’d done a day-trip which had tired him out so he decided to have a quick lie-down before the meeting, only to wake up at 9pm! With a laid-back Aussie attitude and a penchant for wandering off on his own, the coming days would see us using the term “Where’s Shaun?” at least once a day.

After our meeting to discuss the itinerary, Sam took us out on a quick tour of the area to see where the shops and banks were, before taking us to a nearby restaurant for a delicious and very cheap local dinner. So much for losing weight while I’m here! And so it begins…

About drmitch

Dr Nick my travel companion

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.