Existing Member?

Adventures of a short vet

Racing home

NETHERLANDS | Sunday, 23 May 2010 | Views [607]

Seen one seen 'em all

Seen one seen 'em all

Of course we couldn't leave Amsterdam without visiting the infamous sex museum. And I thought it was eye-opening walking through the red-light district! We giggled our way through the museum - I never realised there was porn so far back in history! After emerging back into the sunlight I felt I needed to wash out my eyes with soap.

We decided to spend the rest of the morning walking across town to see the giant windmill, possibly not the best plan of action as it took a little longer than we thought. We ended up reaching the windmill, taking a few photos, and having to rush back in order to catch a tram back to the carpark at the Stadium.

We thought we’d given ourselves plenty of time…until the tram broke down. Luckily I was able to interpret the message that was transferred to us in Dutch “we have broken down and you can either catch a tram at the next stop or go back to the station”. We headed to the next stop where we waited impatiently before attempting to grab a taxi. Luckily another tram came by so we jumped on it and headed to the Stadium. At this stage we were still on time, but then had to run around trying to validate & then pay the ridiculous ticket at a machine that actually worked (because heaven forbid you validate the ticket AND pay at the same booth!). We were running a few minutes late but still ok…until the GPS tried to send us off on a road that didn’t exist and we ended up going in a massive circle (one of the drawbacks of driving through a strange country with no map and relying solely on the GPS). Finally we decided to ignore it and just follow our gut, by which time we were running half an hour late to catch the train back across the Channel. We didn’t know if we would have to buy a new ticket (you don’t as long as you arrive within an hour or so of your time, but then you have to wait until the next availability) so Ben put the medal to the metal and we FLEW through Belgium & France, finally making our train with ONE MINUTE TO SPARE. Now that’s driving. One day I might even get to see those other two countries!

Tags: gps, sex museum, windmill

About drmitch

Dr Nick my travel companion

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.