Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Off the Yacht in Roma

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 September 2017 | Views [773]

nicebroneLast night I went to bed early, but didn't get much sleep-No matter how long a cruise is-that is what I tend to do. I know the ship docks early in the morning, and I am so afraid of waking up so late that houskeeping will be knocking on my door ordering me to leave-I go to bed early. I understand I missed somethings last night-such as the captain playing his guitar and bar manager singing-but after 35 or something cruises, it's hard to stop.

I went up to deck, and had breakfast. I sat with some of the other travel agents I met on the trip for a final breakfast. I said my goodbyes. After going back to the suite, and saying goodbye to the walk-in closet, The L' Occidane lemon-scented shampoos, and the room, and making sure everything was packed, I debarked the ship in the port of Civitevecchia. As I got off the ship, both the Captain and Hotel Manager stood at eh gangway and said goodbye to all the guests.

I have been to Civitevecchia before-actually 3 times before, on various cruises. The plan was to wait for the free shuttle bus to the entrance to the port, and then to walk to the train station-for the train to Rome.  (I found the walk is 2 KM). After waiting about 1/2 an hour, watching the other passengers hop on taxi cabs, buses to the airport, and other transit, and saying my goodbyes to the ones I knew, I embarked on the free shuttle bus, which took me to the entrance of the port.

I then walked past stores, bars, restaurants, and the shoreline leading to  the station. And I walked. And kept walking. My suitcase became heavy.  This walk seemed much longer then the last time. But the signage to the railway station was clear, and I bought a ticket to the train using the vending machine. 

As I bought the ticket, I left my suitcase around the corner (I could still see it out of the corner of my eye), a concerned, aka paranoid tourist, also American looked at me shocikingly said "You can't leave your bag alone!!! This is  Italy!!!". She even pointed to a guy who could be a potential thief.  I sort of rolled my eyes and said "This is your first time in Italy, huhh?".  Maybe I felt she was partially right, but I have learned after traveling around the world that most  people are ok.

After a 20 minute wait, The train came and I got on the and found a seat, and took the approximate 20 minute ride to Rome Termini station. I walked out of the station. After walking down a few wrong streets and asking directions, after about 20 minutes I found the hostel, and was led to my room-a bunk room with 6 other bunks. Thats right, one night ago I was sleeping in a giant suite with L' Occidente frangrances-now I was sharing the approximate same size room with 6 others, and I had to walk outside to the spartan bathroom. Yet-I also found what i liked about this form of travel.  I learned a 20 something girl in the room took the train to Naples.  I asked her is she went to Pompeii. She said she never found it-but was able to eat the pizza, and that is all she wanted, and she was happy. That is all she needed. No big complaints.

I then took the hop-on hop-off bus around Rome. I'm no particular fan of these buses, but with one day in Rome it seems like the thing to do. I took the bus for about an hour, exited near the Colliseum and had pizza for lunch. And walked around Rome for a while. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.