Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Yachting Week 7-Portoferraio

ITALY | Tuesday, 19 September 2017 | Views [761]

Today is the last day of the cruise, and for a huge change from yesterday, it is a bright sunny day.

 

This was the island of Elba, and the city of Portoferraio on the island. 

I looked at this list of shore excursions from the ship, as I didn't know where to go. One place was Napolean's Summer Residence.  

I departed the yacht nice and early, and walked around the town. I saw the usual European enchanting Centruy Old buildings, and followed a path which went up a steep hill, and led to Napolean's Summer Home. It was a beautiful building with lots of old furnishings.  I took the tour, and saw the antique beds, the large dining room, and the views that swept over the Mediterranean. I also walked along the gorgeous, verdant lawn, nicely manicured.

After this, it was close to noon, and I walked down towards the ship, which meant walking past cute houses, down steep streets, towards the town of Poroferrario.  I looked at the stores, and I was planning on going back to the yacht to have lunch, but as I walking past the restaurants by the waterfront, I met my friends and they inivited me to sit with them as a pizzeria. OF course, since this was Italy, I had to eat the pizza, and it was good (although, I this particular place, I can't say it was that much better than I've had before at home).  At the next table, we're some of the crew from the yacht, meeting the crew from another yacht, the Star Pride, who we're actually sailing in the opposite direction.

We said our hellos to the crew, and then headed back to the ship. I lied on deck, reading magazines, and talking to the other travelers. Did this and watched the yacht pull away, and out to sea.

After the yacht pulled away, I went to the dining room and had dinner with the other agents. It was a sad fairwell dinner, and we shared a bottle of wine. And then on to the crew talent show, which is the highlight of the cruise-some of the crew, like two room stewards, dance a Balinese dance-from their homeland. Others, such as the kitchen staff, perform in formation, which was cool.

I went to bed early-around 10:00 pm, becauase I tend to always go to bed early on the last night of a cruise. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.