Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Unscootered

SINGAPORE | Wednesday, 20 January 2016 | Views [553]

Yesterday I took the metro in Singapore to Marina Bay-which is a giant hotel and office complex by the waterfront, and walked around. Then I went to the city hall area, looked at cheap camera equipment, and went to Raffles hotel-which is an old historic hotel, where the Singapore sling drink was supposedly invented. It was a very classic building and was beautiful.

 

Next I went looking for the hop-on hop-off bus, because I wanted to get some in depth look at the city. I ran up and down through various streets, because I saw the buses go up and down but couldn't see where they stopped.  Eventually, after walking across a bridge and through the rain-I found the stop, and got off the bus. I rode out for about 1/2 an hour.  (I have a 24 hour ticket so I will ride more today).

 

The highlight yesterday, however, was a scooter tour. After approximately 8 months of hanging with 20-30 year olds and thinking I am like them-this was the highlight, (or lowlight)-just a little scooter like 5 year olds ride-a 13 km tour through Singapore.

I went in with two other disadvantages, (besides my older age and no athletic ability)

 

(1) We needed comfortable shoes-I just had my no-traction flip-flops.

(2) I ate some vegetable samosas before riding (the hostel is in Little India section of town)

 

So off we went-I had trouble keeping up and fell once. but the group of us (around 11), some some cool sights. We once again went to outside shopping centers, an outside botanical garden, and others. We stopped once again at Marina Bay, and some outdoor garden with giant 10-story tall fake flowers, and we saw a light show.  We then went to another section of Marina Bay, or an outdoor amphitheater near by, with a beautiful view of the expansive skyline, and saw another laser light show, with holograms, including a hologrammed duo singing "What a wonderful world".

 

So we saw a lot. On the way on my scooter, I kept running into pedestrians, and was almost hit by a car. One woman screamed as she pulled out her cell phone and I almost ran into her.  In a food court, I almost spilled a woman's hot soup on to her hands.

 

Going back, once again I was behind everyone else, trying to catch up, and you guessed it-they turned at one place and I turned another-so I lost them, or they lost me. I was determined to ride my scooter back to the hostel (probably about 6 km away though).  But I had no idea how to get there (all my maps we're back at the hostel)-and nobody could tell me. People on the street told me just to take the metro-so that is what I did-rode the metro two stops with my scooter, and arrived probably 10 minutes after everyone else.

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.