Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Gorging in Lviv

UKRAINE | Thursday, 29 October 2015 | Views [433]

As mentioned yesterday, I arrived in Lviv at 6:30 yesterday morning-which is too early for ..... just about anything. So there was a 24 hour diner next to the train station, which had everything  I was looking for-they accepted credit cards and had free WIFI.  So I Sat there for a few hours and worked on the computer, while enjoying  a baked salmon and blintzes for breakfast.

 

Then I went to the hostel at 9:00. They explained that check in doesn't start until 2:00-I said "well-I'm here now", and I didn't need a bed at that point-just a place to shower and brush my teeth (I haven't showered in about 24 hours since I slept on the train), and they we're ok with that. I asked for a map as well-and they didn't have any. I also asked for the way to the city center-and they said just get on the tram and take it to the city center. So that is what I did. 

 

I looked at a map posted on a large sign, and looked for the tourist information center. I wanted to find  a tour. I found out that if I wanted a tour in Russian (For about 1/12 hours)it would be roughly $10.00-but $25.00 for an English language tour. I didn't want to pay that-but at the information center I was given a guide to a self-guided tour which I followed. I saw the city walls, old churches, an arsenal (where weapons we're stored), The Jewish Quarter, where there was the spot of an old synagogue which was destroyed. It was an interesting walk-and it was a beautiful fall day, with the changing leaves. Lviv is a beautiful town, with lots of old brick buildings, churches, etc. There is a wonderful town square as well.

 

The tour took about 5 hours I believe, interrupted by eating (Variously) porridge, chocolate bars, cookies etc.

 

After I completed three quarters of the self guided tour (I came to #15 of 20 points of interest), I decided I was tired of seeing old churches, and went to a giant brewery/restaurant called the beer museum for some beer and more food.

 

Then I went back to the hostel. I discovered there we're whole groups of  high school kids staying there, and while the people in my rooms we're older-I think I was the only one in the whole hostel who spoken English. I then went to bed. 

Tags: liev, ukraine

 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.