Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Kotor 4U In The Bush

MONTENEGRO | Saturday, 5 September 2015 | Views [558]

Yesterday I took the bus from Herceg Novi to Kotor. It wasn't a long ride-only a little over an hour. Kotor is at the very end of the bay on the Adriatic, the place where the cruise ships docks-the ones I saw sail away when I was in Herceg Novi. 

 

I found the hostel quickly-I am back at a hostel. Staying alone is fine for a while, but after a while it's nice to meet others, and have a place that can provide info  on tours, walks etc.  This place is called Montenegro Hostel 4U. It is a party hostel, no doubt, which I sort of like, and was right across a small road from the beach.  There are framed slogans all around, one being "Life is better when you are drunk".  I was greeted with  a welcome shot of Rakija-the Balkan shot, put my stuff in the room-a lower bed which is good, and took a quick walk into the old city.

 

The old city, which is a short walk from the hostel, was packed with passengers from the Holland America Nieu Amsterdam. They we're wandering around-of course I can never not like the cruise industry and the company that fed me for a long time, but it did make the city crowded. There was a fort at the top of the hill, and I wanted to go to the top but it was too hot at this point.

 

I bought a canned salad at the supermarket of pickles and some wine coolers, and ate/drank back at the hostel. I met others, and watched videos on VHI, including One Direction, which others like. They said they wanted to go to the fort at sunset, so I joined them.

 

We walked to the fort to the top-it was beautiful view, but still  hot walking up, and I learned the canned salad of pickles was not a good idea when climbing in the heat.  Once getting to the top (after around a 45 minute hike), we rested for a few minutes, and walked back down. For whatever reason, two of the people I went up with, 2 girls from Australia who I walked up with, rushed down to the bottom,  while I preferred to take my time and walk around.

 

After a nap at the hostel, I went down at 9:00 pm for a beer pong tournament-there we're about 20 of us playing this stupid game of trying to dunk a ball in the cup of beer-but it was nice hanging with the others. They we're a varied group of people, a couple from San Francisco who we're attending a wedding, a painter from Austraila just seeing Europe, and students from London.

 

At around 12:30, a few of us went to town for food-I had a vegetarian sandwich, and came back to the hostel. A bunch of people from beer pong we're going skinny dipping at the beach in front of the hostel. I joined them.  I barely ever go in the water period, and I surely have never skinny dipped. The skinny dipping part was easy, it is just there is no sand-just stones and rocks which are painful to the feet. The only thing I didn't do is jump off the edge of the dock, which others did. The stars in the sky and the lights around the bay made for a beautiful night.

 

One of the women who was skinny dipping said to another-what does it matter? Nobody can see anything in the dark? But fortunately, the streetlights and houselights around we're still bright enough that I could see.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Montenegro

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.