Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Herceg Novi Montenegro-Cool, Sophisticated, Cheap

MONTENEGRO | Thursday, 3 September 2015 | Views [548]

Yesterday I awoke at around 4:00 am, and didn't get much sleep the night before. I had to catch the 7 am bus to Herceg Novi, Montenegro. 

 

It was a shame to leave the hostel/guest house so early in the morning. Again, I was alone in a room that normally 5 people would occupy, and had my own tv, dvd player, and a bathroom and separate shower we're right in the room. And the place was clean, concurrent with many houses in Bosnia, due to  Muslim custom, I was asked to take my shoes off before entering the room. The room was full of rugs that looked oriental, and the rest of the floor was tiled.  The only thing the room had in common with most hostels I have stayed at is the price-11 Euro (or around $13) per night.

 

But I did it-I left the hostel around 5:30 and walked 1800 meters to the bus station (Which is sort of a long walk). I wanted to get to the station early to make sure I got a ticket.  By the way, this bus, at 7:00 am, stops in Dubrovnik, Croatia and, I learned later, takes roughly 6 hours.  During the summer season, an additional bus goes directly to Herceg Novi, therefore cutting out a few hours, I believe, and leaves at 12:30 pm, a decent hour. But the summer season ended on August 31st (that's right-2 days earlier), so the 7:00 am bus was my only option.

 

As mentioned, the bus ride was 6 hours long, which included numerous passport checks. The bus route straddled (and crossed) the borders of Bosnia and Croatia, and there we're no fewer then 4 passport checks just between these two countries. And of course, there was another passport check, where the officer collected our passport to stamp, between Croatia and Montenegro.

 

Other then that, the ride was ok. There we're numerous parts which we're very scenic, with the normal but beautiful Mediterranean scenary of cypress trees, mountains, and ocean.  As mentioned, the bus stopped in Dubrovnik, where I had been 6 years earlier on a cruise. I recognized where we stopped at, as it was right near the cruise port.

 

At about 1:00, the bus arrived in Herceg Novi. Why am I here? Why am I in Montenegro? Well Montenegro just sounds cool, and the name sounds sophisticated. Herceg Novi was one of the few places I could take a bus to from Mostar.  I had originally booked a room on booking.com for $27 per night, but didn't need to pay for it online, so I didn't. And the truth was, the directions to the room we're never given from the bus station (and later I realized I didn't see any taxis at the bus station), so I had no idea how I would get there.

 

So I was sort of happy when a older lady stopped me at the bus station and asked me if I needed a room, and said she had one 5 minutes away for 10 Euros (about $13) per night, which was also 5 minutes to the beach and old town. I followed her, and checked out the room-it was large and roomy. I accepted it (I felt bad I reneged on the original room I booked, but cancelled my booking online as soon as I was able to). I didn't know what currency Montenegro used (Euros, I found out later), so without even  paying her she gave me the key, and I left and walked around.

 

Herceg Novy is a stunningly beautiful beach town on a bay of the Adriatic Sea surrounded my mountains. The old town is encompassed by a fortress, and there are many shops, restaurants, etc.  I had lunch of a salad just so I could use the wifi, and then took a short nap back in the room, and walked out in the evening. I walked along a beachfront promenade. There are the usual restaurants, beach bars, etc.  I had a meal for about $7.00 of pasta and beer.

 

I walked back to the room (about a 5 minute walk from old town, as she said), to pay the lady. I gave her 20 Euros for 2 nights.  I had a drink with her-as she had some vodka her brother inland had made.  I drank the vodka like a shot-a big mistake-this stuff was strong! Then I sat outside with her on the patio and enjoyed the view of the stars.  Her English was rough-but she curiously mentioned she didn't like Clinton-but liked both Bush and Obama. She mentioned how she made $200 per week working for the government of Montenegro, and how times we're better during a united  communist Yugoslavia. I had a few more drinks of vodka, and went to bed. I learned she is 51 years old, and told her she looked good for her age (She was a very nice lady-but I lied).

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Montenegro

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.