Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Life After Belgrade Starts at Mcdonalds

SERBIA | Tuesday, 25 August 2015 | Views [805]

Yesterday wasn't a particularly exciting day.  I started by looking for a new place for breakfast, that was cheap with reliable wifi. I have become sort of sick of Mcdonalds, with the egg and cheese Mcmuffin and a small yogurt. I walked around for a while with my notebook in tow, and all I found was ..... another  Mcdonalds.   This time I had the scrambled egg and English Muffin though.. 

 

I spent the morning looking for a place to go after Belgrade. An hour and a half away by bus is a place called Novi Sad, which I believe is the 2nd largest city in Serbia.  It seems to have a quaint downtown, and looks interesting. And further away is Sarajevo.

 

Actually, Thursday, there is a tour to the southern end of Serbia, by bus, that goes to a town with an  old monastery, and a desert with beautiful rock formations. That is where i would like to go, but there is no way to book  it online, and the hostel has been unsuccessful at reaching them when i asked them to call. I will keep trying.  I even went to the Serbian tourist office, and they tell me that there are few tours there.

 

So the morning was basically spent looking at new places to go, and not much else.

 

in the afternoon, I went on a walking tour called "Underground Belgrade". This was a tour given by a tour guide who had led the same tour over 200 times, and it showed. He had his script memorized.  He showed us an underground bunker that was never used, but planned in case Stalin attacked Yugoslavia. We also saw an old Roman Well, which wasn't built by the Roman's, but the Austria-Hungarians, and was never used as a well. (They had trouble accessing the water source, and people just thought it was built by the Romans since it looked old). We also saw an old gunpowder store house, and a winery underground (where wine is made, supposedly). Other then having some wine at the end, it wasn't particularly exciting.

 

Afterwards, i took a nap at the hostel, and then took a walk downtown, having pizza, popcorn and a grapefruit for dinner. (Pizza shops are everywhere, there are popcorn stands all along the street, and I bought a grapefruit at a supermarket).

Tags: belgrade, serbia

 

 

Travel Answers about Serbia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.