Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Gday Gdynia

POLAND | Friday, 21 August 2015 | Views [408]

Yesterday I woke up ready to eat my McBreakfast, but after I started eating, I tried loggin in, and learned the Wifi at Mcdonalds wasn't working. Why go to Mcdonalds then? I was thinking of asking the manager for a refund, but decided against it (plus the manager didn't speak English-I  learned when I complained of the WIFI-one of the servers had to act as a go-between.

 

So I went to a coffee place down the street, which was ok.

 

After breakfast I went to Gydnia, which is the third city in the tri-city area. The first is 
Gdansk, which was the first city I went to, which is very historic, and has a beautiful old city. The hostel I am staying at is in Sopot, which is less historic but has a gorgeous promenade leading to the Baltic, and grand hotels along the shorefront. Gyndia seems to be the most urban of the three cities, with tall buildings, and modernist architecture. 

 

First I walked off the train and into the market. I was hungry, as it was almost lunchtime, and I was looking forward to fresh herring. Instead, I found a lady selling sauerkraut, and I bought a giant bag for less then $3.00. I ate about 1/2 of it-and then I was more then full.

 

I then walked over to the pier on the Baltic. There was a tall historic ship there, an aquarium, and many pleasure boats docked. Again, an absolutely beautiful day in the 70's, so everything was perfect.

 

I went over to the beach area, and had a vodka with orange juice and some cranberries thrown in (actual cranberries)-this was about $6.50.  Maybe extraordinarily cheap for South Beach, but extraordinarily expensive for Poland.  

 

The drink was served  on a lounge chair, so I sat there enjoying the afternoon, reading my book for a little while. I Then walked around, found a hill with a funicular leading up to a large cross, and took the funicular up to a park and walked around.

 

I went back to town, went to  Pizza Hut for dinner ( there is a decent salad bar in Pizza Huts here), and walked along the dock at  sunset. Then after the sun went down  I returned to the hostel. 

Tags: gydnia, poland

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.