Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Sopot Again-The Rational Choice

POLAND | Thursday, 20 August 2015 | Views [481]

When I go on cruises (I have been on over 30).  I rarely receive a good-nights sleep  on the last night.  After 3-15 days of partying, sleeping late, etc, etc, knowing that I have to awake early to be booted off causes me to sleep with one eye open on the last night. Although I have been on this particular ferry for less then 12 hours (I took another from Poland to Sweden), knowing that Rod Stewart would wake me up again 1 1/2 hours before docking ensured that I wouldn't receive a good nights sleep. So I awoke frequently, looking at my watch, and awoke around 5:30 am. I was already in the shower when Rod's scratchy voice came through. Take that Rod-I beat you!

 

After getting off the ferry, I took a bus to the train station, and ate a McBreakfast. Then I went to the hostel and checked in. No more Hilton,  no more ferry-back to hostels. This particular hostel is called the  "KartCenter" hostel, and is is connected with the go-cart track next door. The hostel is built in a modular building, and other then the go-cart track, it is next to the railroad tracks. There is a bar with rock music constantly playing, with hostesses in tanktops.  In the US it would be considered a redneck paradise, but actually it is quite clean, and roomy (it didn't hurt that I had an 8-bunk room all to myself). 

 

Then I went into town to eat a good lunch of sushi. and went back to the hostel to make plans for the following days. Since I was leaving Poland on Friday, and had two days, I was debating if I should check out another city in Poland such as Wroclaw or Poznun, and I even bought a train ticket to Poznun. But after thinking about it, I decided to stay here until Friday, as the train from Gdanks/Sopot to Poznun would be about 4 hours, and it would be the same length of time from 

Poznun to Warsaw (where the flight leaves from), so there would be a lot of time travelling and not much time seeing the cities. 

 

So after paying for the ticket, (using my computer on the hostel deck, with a commanding view of both the noisy go-cart track and the busy railroad), I decided to stay here until Friday. The problem is, it is a difficult place to leave. The weather is great, with sun in the 70's every day. There are lots of shops, bars and restaurants a 10 minute walk away, and the beach of the Baltic sea and promenade about a 15 minute walk away. Yesterday I rented a bike and went bike riding down a path surrounded by biggest trees. A part fell off the bike, which I put back on. I returned the bike back to the Kiosk and I am not sure I returned the bike in the correct way. I also remember why I don't bike ride more-it is boring.

 

Last night, I walked around by the beach, but before hand watched a movie, "A Rational Man", a Woody Allen Flick-it was average. It was the only movie in English-so it was a rational choice. It was about a philosophy professor who kills someone and rationalizes it was the right thing to do. The movie starred Juaquin Phoenix, and Emma Stone. (the actor I recognized was the press secretary from the 70-80's show Benson).

 

 


),

Tags: poland, sopot

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.