Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Cabbage in the morn, Sushi at Night.

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 27 July 2015 | Views [504]

Yesterday, the day started early, as my roommates woke me up, and the worst part about it was this is the hostel stereotype I was that I worried about when I started staying at hostels. 
I pictured older people like myself trying to get some sleep, and 20 somethings boisterously entering the room after a night partying, turning on the lights, talking loudly, and basically not caring about their sleeping roommates.

 

Up until yesterday morning, I have seen none of that.  Late night revelers have entered the room respectfully, being as quiet as possible. Even in the Party Hostel in Budapest, people generally adhered to this standard (except for the couple supposedly having sex loudly in my room, which I didn't see or hear so can't I verify).

 

But very early yesterday morning, the stereotype came true. Two Justin Bieber like early 20 somethings, both thin with well coiffed hair, came into the room at around 3 am or so (give or take an hour). They turned on the lights (I think, maybe I left them on), and  started talking loudly. Then when  I thought they we're done, the blond one farted loudly, and muttered one word-"cabbage".

 

But overall, I received a good night sleep. My toe is getting better, and yesterday was a busy day. After a good breakfast at the hostel or the cereal that tastes like granola but has strawberries in it, I walked in the area of downtown, eventually getting on a tram.

 

First I went to the Pinkas Synagogue, which had an interesting exhibit of pictures drawn by children in the Holocaust who we're confined to the concentration camp. The pics we're as varied as showing meadows, fields, and things which they yearned for, to things they we're afraid of, such as trains (which deported many Jews to their demise).

 

Afterwards, I went to the Astronomical clock on the old town hall, which every hour on-the-hour puts on a show, with figures moving up in the clock, including figures for vanity, greed death and lust (death is represented by a skeleton, and a miser holding a bag of gold for greed.Vanity is represented by a figure admiring himself in the mirror, and a Turk representing pleasure and entertainment, whatever that is).

 

 

Then I went on a tour of the giant castle on the hill, with it's many gardens and a huge cathedral. The tour was given by the same person who gave the original free tour. I saw a street of small houses, which was called Golden Lane, where goldsmiths lived in the old time. Franz Kafka also  grew up here. I don't know anything about Franz Kafka, except he is an author, and a woman I used to work with, who was full figured, said she had a Kafkase figure. The tour concluded in a beautiful garden at the bottom of the hill.

 

Last night, I had dinner at an all-you-can-eat sushi place I have walked by several times. Sushi isn't the best known food in the Czech Republic, you might say. But the doctor whom inspected my toe said my blood pressure was high (I had just drunk a cup of cappuccino before I saw him, so that wasn't too unusual for me-it usually lowers by the middle of the day)-so I decided I need to have some healthy foods, as opposed to the thick soups and meats that they eat here ( and I don't eat much meat anyway).

 

Afterwards, I went to the top of the tower at the Old Town Hall, and took some pics. By this time, it was close to 11:00 pm-so I was sleepy and went back to the hostel.

Tags: prague

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.