Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

From the Hostel to the Frying Pan

AUSTRIA | Tuesday, 7 July 2015 | Views [458]

Yesterday, I checkout of the hostel and into a hotel. The hostel was ok-it was part of a chain of hostels called "Meininger", which is in various European cities.  I guess they are trying to be one of the few chains in a highly fragmented industry. Like any hotel chain, the people at Meininger wear matching uniforms (shirts, actually), and it seems there are standardized prices across the hostels for breakfast, and even a Meininger magazine that is placed in each room. There is even a lobby with seats.  But in this case, the seats are just a hard bench with throw pillows on it.  Like any hostel, they try to  make the guests somewhat comfortable, just not too comfortable.

 

Anyway, the last hotel I stayed at was roughly 3 weeks ago in Spain, so after 3 weeks of sometimes climbing to a top bunk, sleeping in my shorts (co-ed dorms), taking my whole toiletry bag to the shower, and the various smells that occur with 5-12 people sleeping in close proximity(and also the hostel was booked for another night), I decided it was time for a break. So last night I slept in a hotel which was roughly $75.00 per night (57 Euros). It is a beautiful room, with all the stuff I have been missing, like a tv, private bathroom, and no AC or fan. Did I mention it is around 90 degrees during the day, and  not much cooler at night? So needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.  It was HOT-and I was sweating.

 

Tags: austria, salzburg

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.