Existing Member?

asia-ash

Early Morning

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 23 January 2008 | Views [391] | Comments [1]

Today we had a 5 am start to head down the Mekong and check out some floating markets.  Our driver/guide picked us up from the hotel with a bunch of bananas and bread rolls in hand.  

It was still dark but once we got to the boat and got starting the sun started to rise.  Many people were doing a similar trip but there boats seemed much faster and it wasn't long before it was just us.  We arrived at the first market, it appeared, as they were just setting up.  I thought that it would be organised chaos but it appeared to be just chaos.  Boats running into each other and there seemed to be no set up.  We only stayed at this one for about 20 minutes before heading off.

We got off the main river and cruised along some of the narrower canals. Where there wasnt so many people around and we passed many small villages. We got deepeer and deeperinto the system and didn't know if we would ever come out. This part was very scenic and was the highlight of the tour.

Eventually we headed out onto the main river again to another floating market.  It was a similar sort of thing but with less movement and appeared more settled.  Still no set up or system though. We got ourselves a pineapple each.  The way they carve them and cut out the prickly bits in minutes is amazing. The were fresh and sweet.

We stopped for a small lunch break, although we went that hungry.  Then back to Can Tho town. We had about an hour before we got a bus to our next stop at Rach Gia.

This was a packed small bus and was a little uncomfortable but the trip wasn't too long. We had a mission trying to find our hotel on foot but got there after about an hour of walking. Tim went to bed and Matt and I went to look for food.  No luck back to hotel and bed.  Heading to Phu quoc tomorrow.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Watch out for those bus trips, the markets sound kao. You'll turn into a monkey if you eat too many bannana's...the people are very kind thou huh. xj

  Miss Jess Feb 1, 2008 1:14 PM

About da_misfit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.