Existing Member?

asia-ash

Up in the hills

VIETNAM | Thursday, 31 January 2008 | Views [666]

So we have been up in the hills for a few days.  The Central Highlands are beautiful and although still busy, a nice break.  We have decided to say here for around 6 days to relax and have time to take it all in.

Our first couple of days have consisted of sightseeing around the town.  What we usually squeeze into a day we have spread over a couple of days.  Its been great to do it at a slow pace. 

We arrived at about 8pm on our first night and went straight to our hotel which has been a bit luxury.  The first day here we decided to walk around the town and go to the as many sights as we could be bothered. 

Our first stop was the Crazy House.  Which is a guest house that looks like its come straight from Alice in Wonderland.  I really loved it.  We spent almost an hour there exploring all the different nooks and crannies. The rooms look like they are in a cross between a tree and a cave.  Some rooms have these statues and one was a kangaroo with red lights glowing from its eyes.  At the next town I will try and download photos from my new camera!

Next we headed to the lake (Xuan Huong Lake) which is sort of right in the centre of town.  A round trip around the lake is about 7 kms. We then headed to the Cremailllere Railway station which has old locomotives including a japanese steam train. 

We headed back to the town centre and went to the market.  The grow so many fruits and vegetables here.  It is also known as the flower city.  They have a massive flower gardens that we went to the next day. 

I think the only other place we went to was Linh Son Pagoda near where we were staying.  other than that we just checked out the town and familiarized ourselves with what was where.

The next day we headed towards the flower gardens.  Feeling a bit lazy we got on the back of a motorbike and got a lift there.  The gardens were great with so many different types of flowers and set gardens. 

We walked back around the lake into town and got to Bao Dai's Summer Palace.  He was the last Vietnamese King.  It was very interesting and quite Art Deco which is unusual here. We meet up with some bike riders on this day and decided it would be them that we got as tour guide and riders for a day trip up into the hills.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About da_misfit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.