Existing Member?

asia-ash

Elephants and more

LAOS | Monday, 17 March 2008 | Views [631]

We awoke early this morning in anticipation for our visit to the elephants.  We headed out east of Luang Prabang to a reserve that acted as a retirement village for ex-working elephants. 

When we arrived we were amazed how big the elephants actually felt being right next to us.  Our elephant was a female named Buller, she was gentle and obedient.  We did an hour and a half ride through the bush.  Going downhill was rather scary and since we were the only aussies.  We felt a bit sorry for our elephant as the others had either one japanese or some skinny europeans on board. 

During our ride we crossed Nam Ou (River Ou) and arrived at the Lodge where people can stay overgnight.  Here we got to bathe the elephants.  We bathed Bon Swar, the oldest of the eight, he was 49.  When he got to the bank to let me off, he sort of sat like a dog and then fully laid his body down for me to slide off.  It was the best.  I was giggling the whole time.

After the elephant ride we drove to Khang Si a big waterfall.  We had lunch here then hiked the way up to the top and across the top all the way back down the opposite side.  It was hard work!! 

By the end of that we needed a swim.  The water was so clear, like an icy blue colour and soo soo cold.  But it was great.

That night we headed down to the closest pub, which became our local, Martins Pub and watched a free movie, Juno.  It was an excellent end to an awesome day.

About da_misfit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.