Existing Member?

asia-ash

The journey north

LAOS | Sunday, 16 March 2008 | Views [513]

Firstly, it was an 8 hour bus trip north from Vang Vieng to the Ancient capital of Luang Prabang.  But only about 200kms.  It was up and down hills and around many a winding road.

We arrived late in the afternoon so we didn't feel like doing much but showering and having a little to eat.  We checked into our guesthouse then headed a little down the road to a chinese restaurant.  After that a quiet night and bed.

The next day we set off exploring the town.  We headed to some temples and wats.  We looked at one inside the town that still had a monk school.  Then we crossed the road to an area up the hill.  On the first level was a wat that has just been reopened.  It had murals all over the wall and though the building itself was not that impressive the temple was one of my favourites. 

Then we went to the top of Phou Si where there is another temple.  But atop that hill you can view the whole of Luang Prabang.  Next we took ourselves along the Mekong and walked up and down town checking out all the french buildings, new and old. 

We went to the National Muesum which is also the old palace after it reopened after lunch.  On our walk back home we walked along the river bank of the Nam Khan. 

That night we went into town and to our suprise there was a night market so we walked along looking at all the local and tribal crafts.  The best markets we have come across all trip.

About da_misfit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.