Existing Member?

asia-ash

Can Tho - Mekong

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 22 January 2008 | Views [398]

Our next stop was Can Tho in the Mekong Delta.  We got on a bus that was taking the other passengers on a tour in the region and dropping us off at our destination.  Or so we believed.  We got dropped off alright but at a little town that we had to catch a ferry to Can Tho. That was fine but no explanation of what we were to do next.  So we walked to the ferry.  This place was obviously not used to the tourist influx. People stared at us like we were from out of space. 

We got to the Ferry and no body was on foot, everyone was on bike or car or bus.  A vietnamese lady approached us, speaking very good English and explained how we buy a ticket and the price.  We were thankful for the help.  As we lined up to get on the ferry, the gates opened and an huge rush of bikes went for it and we got left befhind as the gates shut.  Once again our lady saviour got them to open the gates and she got us on board.

Once again, stares from everybody.  Our lady started asking us many questions about our trip, our accommodation etc.  Thats when a bit of suspicion crept in.  She also got on her mobile after asking us questions and we wondered where this would lead.

Our Friend, then off the boat, got us moto taxi's and she got on her own.  She got them to take us to a minihotel, which was affordable.  Still no issues yet.  We checked in and discussed how helpful she was and that we should take her to lunch or something to thank her.  As it appeared that she was just helpful and didn't want anything from us. We were wrong.

When we got back downstairs she was there with a map and within seconds had booked us in to a tour of the Mekong and bus trip to Rach Gia.  She was a travel agent type person.  She sold us an overpriced trip with her brother for the next morning.  Now I say overpriced, but in our terms of money etc not so much, just in comparison of what we could have had. Nothing comes for free.

The rest of the day we got some lunch wondered around town and checked out the river.  Matt and I got a cocktail and then freshened  up for an evening wonder and meal.  Early bed for an early start the next day.

Tags: I should have known better!

About da_misfit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.